Macbook Pro Warranty Issues MBP 13" - Cracked Hinge, Loud Fan, Not turning on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 491978, Aug 16, 2010.

1. 491978 macrumors newbie

My macbook won't turn on anymore it just gets stuck on the apple logo with the spinny thingie, and I've tried everything to get it to work (safeboot, etc etc). The fans are EXTREMELY LOUD too. I also have a crack on my hinge.

I'm thinking of getting the hinge replaced by a secondary person, other than apple. But in the apple care warranty it says:

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
    (i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or
    maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such
    as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;
    (ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty
    installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service
    Provider
    ), unauthorized modification,

^ I don't understand the bolded words. Are they saying that replacements by people other than apple are okay aslong as they are not faulty

I'm confused now, does that mean my apple care will be voided? or will it not work for that one area (hinge)

how will the apple people know that you got the hinge replaced from someone else and not them?

and can i get a new macbook because of the two problems listed above?

Does a cracked hinge have any connection to any of the stuff happening?

cheers!:apple:

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

They are talking about doing modifications or repairs to the machine outside of replacing the hard drive or the ram. If you replace the hard drive with a new one then the new hard drive itself is not covered under Apple's warranty, nor would be any 3rd party ram you install. Anything else you do to the computer outside of adding ram or swapping out the hard drive will void your warranty.

3. 491978 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm confused, it said faulty repair by any one outside of apple. so, i'm guessing i got confused with the words?

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

They are saying Faulty Installation or Repair which would include installing a hard drive or ram. If you were to cause damage to the machine even performing these tasks you better be an authorized Apple repair tech or the warranty will be voided.