Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nosleepcas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
OK so let me do my best to explain this. Are used to fix MacBook pros, so I am familiar with most of the tricks. I’ve tried pretty much everything.

So here’s the situation. Yesterday while I was on the computer, it suddenly shut down. Then I was on able to start it up. Eventually it began to start up without an issue, but it shut down again.

Then when I decided to try to start it up again, I was met with a black screen though I could hear the fans running.

By unplugging the battery and plugging it back in, I was able to get the Computer to start up again by pressing the power button. I got all the way to my regular desktop, but then when I shut down or restart it it would restart with the black screen of death, even though I heard the fans running.

What I’ve tried:
Unplugging and replug getting in the SDD/battery.
Resetting the PRAM.
Resetting SMC.
Booting from USB
Booting from external HD
Internet recovery mode
Holding command/R during startup.
Booting from recovery partition (one is not available)

Pretty much everything in this list, once it inevitably got to the boot screen w the apple logo, once the progress bar reached 50%, it would **** down and return to the black screen of death.

In the beginning I was able to reach the desktop, and when I did I repaired the disk with disk utility/first aid.
Currently, I am not even able to reach the desktop. When I AM able to avoid the black screen of death and get to the login screen, once progress bar reaches 75%, it restarts back to the black screen of death.

I’m not sure exactly what year my MBP is, I believe it is early 2011. It has the ram built into the motherboard and a battery that cannot be removed unless you remove the glue underneath it.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?
I thought it might be the SDD, but then was unable to boot from disk, so now I’m not sure.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
This might actually be as simple as you need a new battery. I actually recently had to replace one due to a 2011/2012 Macbook Pro doing exactly what you just described.

Boot it to diagnostics, I think its boot it holding cmd+D on 2011 models, if it shuts down during diagnostics then its not a hard drive/software issue - and it may do it even if the charger is plugged in. Hopefully it will tell you if it anything more serious but if the batt has never been replaced I'd start there.

Nosleepcas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
This might actually be as simple as you need a new battery. I actually recently had to replace one due to a 2011/2012 Macbook Pro doing exactly what you just described.

Boot it to diagnostics, I think its boot it holding cmd+D on 2011 models, if it shuts down during diagnostics then its not a hard drive/software issue - and it may do it even if the charger is plugged in. Hopefully it will tell you if it anything more serious but if the batt has never been replaced I'd start there.

I had just replaced the battery with a brand new one about 6 months again, so I’m not sure if that would be the cause.
[doublepost=1544821344][/doublepost]
I had just replaced the battery with a brand new one about 6 months again, so I’m not sure if that would be the cause.
If it's a 15", it maybe a gpu-related problem.
It is a 15”. If it’s GPU, I’m kind of screwed unless I learn how to solder. Correct?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reactions: Nosleepcas

Nosleepcas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
There is a way to disable the GPU. Perhaps this thread will help: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ntel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/
So you win. You just saved the day. Thank you very much.
Here's what worked. (taken from the thread you posted)

Or try the simplest way - No needed ArchLinux - Only MacOS:

1 - Boot Single User (press Command + S) at boot (If you have MacOS installed on your hard drive).

2 - If you have a blank HD, then use the USB stick/Pendrive with the MacOS installer (El Capitan, Sierra or HighSierra).

2.1 - Press Option key at boot, Position the mouse on the MacOS installer icon.

2.2 - Press Command + S and keep holding these two keys.

2.3 - Click the MacOS installer icon -> continue holding the Command + S keys until you finish the MacOS installer Single User boot .

Enter these commands (change gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU and boot verbose):

Code:
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

nvram boot-args="-v"

reboot

Cheers! Thank you soooo much!! Life saver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.