Macbook Pro4,1 with Mac OS X 10.5.8 can't reinstall from 10.5.7 Disc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sorra54, Dec 29, 2011.

1. sorra54 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to fix my bosses Macbook Pro4,1 which he has completely destroyed.
    Off course, his installs disc are lost and will never be found, so I thought that i could just use my disc from my Macbook Pro5,3.

Right now by bosses Mac runs on Mac OS X 10.5.8

The install disc that I have from my own is v. 10.5.7

When i start up the computer with the disc inserted, and once i have chosen the language (Danish) it says. This Mac OS X cannot be installed .. :mad:

What to do?

Best regards,
    Søren - Denmark

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can only use the grey install discs on the same type of Mac. Since your Mac is a different model from your boss's Mac, he can't use yours.

Your boss may be able to order replacement discs from Apple (for a fee). Or, you can purchase the Snow Leopard retail disc (if available) unless you want to stay on Leopard.

3. sorra54 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is, he has completely misused his Mac, so nothing works. Safari won't open browsers etc. By installing Snow Leopard, the Mac won't be completely rebooted will it? I mean, will everything be deleted and will it start up as a fresh mac?

4. simsaladimbamba

If you don't change any settings during the installation, no personal data or settings or applications will be deleted, the OS will be just upgraded.
    But you could also perform a clean install and delete everything on the HDD and start fresh.
    It is up to you.

5. sorra54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could this be done with the Snow Leopard install Disc?

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - you can do a fresh install from the 10.6 Snow Leopard retail disc - Apple always describe it as an upgrade disc but it isn't !!

7. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Try this, but you will need a FireWire cable:

Connect the two Macs using a FireWire cable. Press T on your boss' MacBook Pro while pressing the power button, until the FireWire icon is shown.

Then, boot your Mac and insert the Mac OS X Installation disc. Press the C key. Install as usual, but make sure you select your boss' Macintosh HD for destination.

When the installation is complete, boot with the hard drive in your boss' MacBook Pro using your Mac by holding Option key while booting. After the initial setup process, update Mac OS X to 10.5.8 using Software Update.

Then you can safely shut down the computers, unplug the FireWire cable, and your boss' Mac will be running 10.5.8 again.

8. sorra54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wonderful. And you are sure that this will also work, when my boss' mac is an OLD mac, probably 2008 or early '09 ? However, I've got the Snow Leopard disc too, would i be possible to boot from the Snow Leopard disc, go to disc utilities, erase the hard drive, boot up again and chose to install Snow Leopard on the now erased/empty harddrive? I can't find any places, that tell me whether or not such an old mac can run Snow Leopard.

9. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

MacBookPro4,1 is the Mac I own too. It'll run Leopard (10.5.2 onwards), Snow Leopard and Lion. If you have the Snow Leopard disc, just install on your boss' computer. It'll work just fine.