Macbook problem (battery, logicboard or dc? °

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by valdimirovich00, Dec 9, 2015.

1. valdimirovich00 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

thanks for this great forum. Here is my problem, and i would be very grateful if someone could help me.
    I have a late 08 macbook, which does not charge anymore. i first tought it was a bad magsafe, so bought a new one.
    i can turn on the computer when the battery is not inside, however it doesnt work when i insert it.
    I have also noticed something else. If i press the battery light indicator while the magsafe is not plugged in, the leds do flash, but if it is plugged, the led doesn't light up.
    so i'm wondering if it's a bad dc inboard or a dead battery that would cause such behavior.

Thanks for your help

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Dead battery IMO I suspect it's that bad it's drawing all the magsafe power or completely shorting out power supply

Surprised it lasted this long

3. valdimirovich00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Steve for your reply. I will try to get a new battery, but also, shouldn't the led on the magsafe green or orange. Because right now it doesn't light up too

4. SteveJUAE, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I suspect battery is completely shorted out so wont show charged or charging hence no light :(

You could go to a little repair shop and ask them to test the battery terminals with a volt meter to confirm 1st

5. valdimirovich00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i will do that and keep you updated. Thanks again

6. valdimirovich00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I have tested the battery, its still working a little bit, however now can't turn on the computer at all..with or without battery. I tried the smc reset with no luck, even tho it seems to work the first time

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

So what's next option ?

8. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I had a similar problem which was fixed by cleaning the terminals on the battery itself and the contacts in the macbook with a little bit of alcohol on a swab. Wouldn't hurt to do the same with the magsafe port/adapter.

9. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Not while it's plugged in preferably :eek:

10. valdimirovich00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to give it a try..i was thinking about replacing the DC in board but i noticed that when the magsafe is plugged and the battery out, if i press the battery level indicator it flashes the correct pattern of battery not installed. So my guess is that there is power coming in

11. valdimirovich00 thread starter macrumors newbie