MacBook Pro's failure to sleep leads to overheating and screen discoloration.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XX55XX, May 2, 2011.

1. XX55XX macrumors regular

When I got home today and took out my MacBook Pro (this is a 13-inch, mid-2009 base model), I noticed that was exceedingly warm. Funny... I had put it to sleep a few hours ago, didn't I?

Apparently, the MacBook Pro had failed to go to sleep when I had closed the lid earlier. It was on. The LCD also appeared to have been damaged by the heat. The lower right corner, in particular, was much brighter than the rest of the screen.

My Mac is basically out of warranty (bought it in August of 2009), but is there is anything I can do? This screen discoloration is off-putting, but nonetheless, I am thankful that the computer did not break down completely from this failure to sleep and subsequent overheating.

Why did it fail to go to sleep when I closed the lid? It always did and does now. Some research indicated that keeping Firefox open when forcing it to go sleep may result in the computer not going to sleep properly...

I'll keep this laptop for now, since it's operational, but my next computer might not be a Mac.

Anyone had such an experience?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If your machine has always failed to go to sleep, you should have brought it in, and Firefox should not have stopped it from going to sleep. If it's always failed to go to sleep, maybe there's something wrong with the sleep sensor or magnet.

3. edrixc macrumors newbie

I had the same problem before with my mid 2007 macbook pro. Not really sure now about the current MBPs.

What happened with mine was i downloaded a software update then after, my MBP wouldn't sleep when I closed it. The MBP would sleep if I close it but after a few seconds, it would come back.

Brought it to an apple store and they said that it wasn't a hardware problem. That it was a software problem and that they had MBP's that had the former version of the OS X and it worked fine. After updating to the next software, I didnt have the problem anymore.

Not sure with yours but mine was a software problem.

4. sglee macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I just experienced the same problem. I bought my Mac Book Pro in August, 2011. I closed my lid before I took off from work. For some reason, Mac Book Pro woke up after I got home and had been running for several hours before I heard the fan was working hard to disperse the heat in my back pack. Fortunately, nothing has been damaged. I am going to bring my MBP to genius bar diagnosis. This is not my first MBP and I never had this problem before. It is disappointing.

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Where did the OP say his/her machine always failed to go to sleep?

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I really doubt anyone is going to know considering when this thread was started...

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Ha! No kidding.