Macbook Pro's left fan spinning, but shows 0 rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamecks, Mar 23, 2010.

1. iamecks macrumors newbie

Hi there, just wondering if you guys could shed a little light on my situation. The left fan in my 15 inch 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo died, so I bought a replacement and fitted it myself. Before I put everything back together, I turned it on and checked the fan started spinning, and it did.

Even now, when I turn it on I can hear the replacement fan spinning, so it's definitely working.

Last night, whilst watching a film, the bottom of the macbook got REALLY hot, too hot to even touch, then it kernel panicked and turned off. So I installed iStat and it shows the left fan as running at 0rpm, even though I can hear it running and feel a slight blow. It just doesn't seem to be winding up when the mac gets too hot like the right hand fan does?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
    James.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Reset the SMC and see what happens.

3. iamecks thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, still exactly the same problem :(

I'm right in thinking resetting the SMC is taking the battery out, taking the power out and then holding the power button for 5 seconds yeah?

Thanks!

4. macuser154 macrumors 6502

Just a guess, but did you reconnect the sensor (if there is one) to the fan?

5. iamecks thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

Yeah, I guess the sensor is in the same set of wires that the power is? (there is only one connector that comes off the fan).

I've tried running the Apple Hardware Test but couldn't get it to work off my disc for some reason?

Cheers!