MacBook refuses to display on external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dnickb, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dnickb macrumors newbie

alright, I've done everything I could think of. I have a MacBook 3,1 that used to connect just fine to my lg w2361v 23" monitor just fine until recently. Now it flashes the screen, allows me to move my cursor over to where the monitor should be, but I'm staring into a sea of blackness. In System Preferences, the computer recognizes there is a display, allows me to hit "gather windows" and pull in the other window from the external monitor. Detect Display does nothing and I've tried every possible screen resolution and setting with no avail. I'm really hoping someone here can at least point me in the right direction, because 2+ hours of googling has given me nothing.:(

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

So, you need to do basic diagnostics. Right off the bat, there are three possible culprits: the monitor, the cable, or the computer. You need to try different combinations of devices, like connecting your laptop to another screen, in order to figure out which device is suspect.

3. dnickb thread starter macrumors newbie

It cannot be the monitor, it will display both hdmi and dvi input from my ps3 and other computer. It isn't the cable, because I have tried using both hdmi, with a hdmi to mini-dvi, and regular dvi to mini-dvi. That's 2 different cables, and 2 different adapters. So basically, I have it narrowed down to be the computer, but I was wondering if (and hoping that) that the problem was strictly software and not that I now have a bad port.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Try a PRAM reset. That can potentially make a difference when it comes to display issues.

Next, try booting from a known-good OS. For example, try booting from an OS install disc. You should get an image while booted from the disc, and you should be able to drag windows over to it. If that doesn't work, it's not a software issue.

5. dnickb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I've already did a PRAM reset, though I may try one more time tonight.

As for booting from an OS disk, I never even thought of that. Would the OS X disc work? Or should I try a live Linux CD?

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

Doubtful a live Linux CD will work. I don't know about now, but last time I tried to run Linux on a dual-monitor system, it was notoriously difficult to get it to work. Granted, that was before the OS X Public Beta, but it was supposed to be supported back then.

Your OS X Install Disc should "just work."

7. dnickb thread starter macrumors newbie

I am very sad to say that it did not work. It looks like I am doomed to not be able to display on my monitor. I don't suppose there is any simple thing that I could do to fix the issue since apparently it's not software?