MacBook rejecting correct password

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by tmonts, Nov 14, 2018.

1. tmonts macrumors newbie

Hi, I’m running out of options for saving my data and was hopeful any of you knowledgeable people might be able to assist. My MacBook Pro (Mid-2012, FileVault: Y, FirmWare: N, Mojave OS) randomly began rejecting my password on Friday night. I know the password is correct. Plus, when I’ve booted in recovery mode I’ve made it a half-step or so further than I have otherwise in terms of (un)successfully resetting my password. Anyway, all the traditional efforts have failed to help me reset the password (triggering the reset password window via Terminal, reinstalling another version of Mojave, booting in single-user mode because of FileVault, and repeated failures in using my correct Apple ID to reset my password) have failed miserably. My account is the only account on the laptop and I didn’t have a back-up actively occurring. So, are there any other ways you can think of to avoid having to erase my hard drive? At this point, I’m kind of resigned to that having to happen (particularly since the Apple geniuses advised that was my only remaining option), but I wanted to reach out before actually employing that option. I’ve given thought to loading Mojave or one of its predecessors from a boot disk or continuing the search for a hack that’s accessible and effective for a complete novice like me, but wasn’t sure that would actually help. Thanks in advance for any help and apologies in advance for oversight or general ignorance.