MacBook Retina Charger to usb-c to USB adapter faster charge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by knemonic, May 18, 2016.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads on using the MacBook retina charger, combine with the usb-c to lightning cable to charge the iPad Pro 12.9" faster.

But I'm curious, the charger with the usb-c to USB adapter, then a regular usb to lightning cable, will that charge my iPad Air as fast as the 10w charger included, if not faster?

It would seem so but the usb-c to USB adapter may be the hinderence here. I will test myself but was curious if anyone has tried it. I hope so cause then I will be able to carry one charger for everything then.

Thanks!

2. Daku93 macrumors regular

That won't work. The cable itself needs to communicate with the charger and confirm that it is USB Power Delivery compatibal. The only cable that currently does that is the officual USB-C to Lightning cable.

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ugh, even if I'm using the apple USB-c to USB adapter? So what is it, the lightning chip is communicating particularly to the USB-c? It charges fine with the adapter, but I assume the charger is not charging at maximum charge, it's putting out what's needed for normal USB charging. Those straight C-lightning cables aren't cheap so this is kind of lame.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's a limitation of the usb-a spec. You can't have cables designed to carry a maximum of 2.4a current suddenly carrying twice that.