MacBook Retina on protective film/skin = dangerous?

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Hi,

I heard that due to the thinness between the screen and the keyboard area / palm rest area, especially with the Retina MacBook's the protective films/skins for the monitor/keyboard/palm rest area might damage the screen. I also heard that especially a film on a screen will block the cooling from heating.

Is this true? Any users who have them on their MacBook Retina's?

Thanks.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I don't use any skins or protection on my rMBP and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Depending on how you use it, will impact its wear and tear. With that said, I've heard the same thing and I'd be cautious about add a skin

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I don't use any skins or protection on my rMBP and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Depending on how you use it, will impact its wear and tear. With that said, I've heard the same thing and I'd be cautious about add a skin
Since I hate getting fingerprints and smudges, as well as a lifetime wear on a keyboard, I was thinking about protecting my device.

But any technical reply with the actual usage experienced user's additional comments would be greatly appareciated.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
someone posted on here about having damaged their screen with a keyboard cover, so I would proceed with caution, and probably avoid it.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
someone posted on here about having damaged their screen with a keyboard cover, so I would proceed with caution, and probably avoid it.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I've been running with the palm and touchpad cover since new in May without issue. I see no indication that these make contact....

However, I did try a keyboard cover, didn't like the feel and did see "marks" on the screen where it made contact. Nothing damaged but I can see where it might.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Ok so keyboard cover is definitely not recommended while lid is closed.
And palm rest stickers will also not affect the screen while lid closed.

How about protective screen film though? I heard that it blocks dissipating heat from the screen. Any comments on the actual usage? For my experience on my 2009 macbook pro, i really couldnt tell the difference.

phyx

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Trollhättan, Sweden
Ok so keyboard cover is definitely not recommended while lid is closed.
And palm rest stickers will also not affect the screen while lid closed.

How about protective screen film though? I heard that it blocks dissipating heat from the screen. Any comments on the actual usage? For my experience on my 2009 macbook pro, i really couldnt tell the difference.
I've seen posts there people have spoken to appleCare and they have come with the recommendation that they should not have a protective screen film because it can break the screen because of the small space between the screen and the keyboard when the lid is closed. I've heard nothing about it blocking any heat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.