MacBook running much hotter with new monitor attached.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SVTmaniac, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I have a late 2013 15" rMBP with the 750m graphics card. I've been using it attached to my Apple Thunderbolt Display and it has been running nice and cool. Recently, I upgraded to the new LG 34" Ultrawide display that runs at 3440x1440 resolution. I have it connected through Thunderbolt as well and now my MacBook runs noticeable hotter than before. I hear the fans pick up every now and then when working in Photoshop and Lightroom. I know I'm pushing more pixels than before, but I never dreamed that it would cause such an increase in heat.

Is this something I should consider normal?

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Do you have a temperature monitor installed? I was just wondering how much of an increase you're talking about.

Although I do not use a 2nd monitor for anything too intensive, I do occasionally use it to watch Movie or Tv shows (Game of Thrones:D) on my Samsung 46" Tv and I do notice it heating up more than normal. But its never been anything too concerning on my end

3. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have any temp monitoring software on the OSX side. I do on my bootcamp side though. I haven't even booted into Windows with the new monitor yet.

4. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured it out, somehow I had 4 virtual desktops running at the same time. No clue how that happened but I closed them all and now it's running cool again.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Both my 2013 and 2014 run a little warmer when a DP external monitor is attached regardless. Some screen savers and desktop images warm things up but not to the point where the fans kick in noticeably.