MacBook stolen & recovered- thief deleted my OSX admin account- can I recover data?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by muaythai, Jun 15, 2011.

1. muaythai macrumors member

The guy who stole my computer deleted my admin account ~80GB of data gone. I don't have a Time Machine backup. Is my data lost forever or should I try some sort of data recovery software? If yes, which one is the best? Or, should I skip the DIY data recovery and just take it to a professional? Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

It depends on how much new data the thief has written to the HDD.
    You can try Data Rescue and File Salvage, they at least offer to scan your HDD for free and show you recoverable data, which then can only be recovered via paying for the software.
    There is no need for a professional yet.

3. muaythai thread starter macrumors member

Thanks simsaladimbamba. I'm fairly confident he didn't write much new data on the drive, so there may be hope. I'll try the scanning software you mentioned. Thanks!

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Ditto

I've had very good luck recovering lost data. I'd stop using machine right away until you can get to scanning the disk for data. You are continually writing to the disk when you use the machine.

5. muaythai thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys- thanks so much for the help- I went ahead and used Data Rescue and got about 150gb back!