Macbook Unibody 2009 - Audio/External Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andrewlgm, Nov 12, 2011.

1. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

Anytime I have my white macbook plugged to an external monitor, and I have my earphones on, I lose a slight amount of sound from the right earphone. Maybe it's been happening for a while, but since I only started using headphones with my macbook recently (working at night), I just noticed it now. This is really annoying. Does anybody know why? How can I fix this? Removing the minidisplay connector solves it, but then I have no external monitor.

I've modified my macbook a few times since I got it in early 2010. So maybe I messed something up. It's the best computer I've ever had, and I don't want to upgrade to a newer one yet - I know it may sound weird, but I preferred the white macbook over everything else.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

What do you mean by "lose a slight amount of sound"? Have you checked the balance in the Sound preferences pane?

3. andrewlgm thread starter macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

the right earphone is lower in sound than the left. It's as if the volume on the left ear was on 8 and volume on the right ear was on 4. I've tried with over 6 pairs of headphones, and I like I said, the sound returns to normal when I unplug the external monitor. I've checked all settings. Solution so far was not use the macbook for sound when I have the monitor plugged in. iPhone does the job well, but it's pretty annoying that I can't use iTunes when using the external monitor. Anyway. thanks