MacBook Upgrades: 2GB->4GB Ram, 250GB 5400RPM HD -> 256 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dandaman2, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. dandaman2 macrumors regular

    Aug 18, 2008
    I have iStat menus installed, and every time I look at my RAM item it's almost maxed out. The computer's performance is taking a hit. I suppose I could keep less applications open at once, but I know how to switch out RAM and I like that option more. The user guide says my Late '08 Unibody can take 4GB total, and I have 2GB right now. How much would I be looking for this upgrade? What are your favorite dealers?

    While I'm spending large amounts of money on computer parts, I'm considering installing another speed boost in the form of an SSD drive. Since this is a less proven technology, what are your opinions on this decision? Considering the lack of FireWire, how do you recommend moving my data over? What are the best brands, and how much do they go for?

    MacForums has yet to let me down on my MacBook repairs and upgrades. Y'all saved me over $600 when I repaired the screen on my old blackbook by buying a screen from PowerBookMedic and self-installing instead of shipping it off to Apple. Hopefully you can help me out with this "elective surgery" as well. Thanks!

    *Note: For the cloning process, I have access to a) the old blackbook, b) a 17" MBP, c) another unibody (but I don't expect to use it b/c lack of firewire) and d) a whitebook from about the same time as blackbook. Thanks!
  2. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

    Jun 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My suggestion for the RAM would be to look at newegg. A 4 GB kit (2 x 2 GB sticks) will probably cost about $50 - $100. Instead of an SSD, I would suggest a 7200 RPM 2.5" drive. They are available at a 500 GB level and cheaper than an SSD. At least this is what I am going to do once I get my MBP 13".
  3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816


    Oct 17, 2007


    In my opinion, I would go for a 320GB or 500GB 7200rpm HDD instead of an SSD. The SSD's are too small and too expensive right now.

    Transfer data using your TM backup or clone to the new drive (via USB) in an enclosue and switch the drives.

  4. dandaman2 thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 18, 2008
    Thanks, you guys. One reason why I want to upgrade to an SSD is because I'm not to fond of having a physical disk (I bring this bad boy to school every day, so it gets a fair bit of abuse). I've seen SSDs up to 250GB, and that's about the size I need. I'll probably wait until the price goes down a bit then.
  5. Kingcodez macrumors 6502


    May 13, 2009
    Definately check out the OCZ Vertex, one thing I'm going to do, is install a SSD, and a 500GB HDD in the OptiBay for storage..

    I'm buying a 120 gig SSD, I'd like a 256 but the price is high now, plus if I have a huge spinner in the bay I really only need a 32gb lol.

Share This Page