Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WickedSick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
My girlfriend has a macbook that had all of her itunes stuff on it. Well it died and is a total loss. She has her ipod nano which houses all of her music and is planning on buying a macbook. Can she just relog in to itunes and re download the music to her computer or can she transfer all the music from the ipod to her itunes when the new computer arrives. Thanks for the help guys. Im not tech saavy at all so thanks for bearing with me.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
All you need to do, is put the iPod into Disc Mode, browse to the hidden iTunes folder, reimport the music into iTunes, then let it figure everything out. 99% of the music should remember its name, artist, etc. The rest will just be 4 character names, that you have to fix. Apple resists allowing you to redownload music, because it still has to pay the fees to the RIAA for the download.

TEG

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
No. When you plug it in, do not let it resync by itself. You will need to enable hidden files and folders, click on the iPod when it mounts on the desktop and drag/drop all the files to your desktop.

Then, making sure that 'copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library' is ticked under iTunes preferences -> Advanced tab, go to file -> add to library and add the folder you copied from the iPod. When you do copy it first time round from the iPod all the files will have strange 4 letter file names, ignore that.

WickedSick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the info guys, but now I just need a little more help. I kinda need step by step instructions here as I have no idea how to enable these magic hidden folders. Help the techno illiterate man out! Thanks again!

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Thanks for the info guys, but now I just need a little more help. I kinda need step by step instructions here as I have no idea how to enable these magic hidden folders. Help the techno illiterate man out! Thanks again!

Ok first you must prevent iTunes from automatically syncing with the iPod. This shouldn't be a problem because its a new computer but just incase go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices>Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically.

In the iPod's Menu in iTunes, check off the disk mode option

Then follow the steps here and enable hidden files.

Make sure you have the "copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library" preference checked in iTunes. It's under the Advanced tab.

Navigate to the iPods directory and to the hidden iTunes folder and reimport the songs into iTunes.

Good Luck! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.