macbook wireless stops working after a while

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qwerty2k, Jan 15, 2009.

1. qwerty2k macrumors regular

Hi,

So to preface my problem let me just say that ive got my own macbook which works on the same wireless network with no faults at all, so i assume its not an error with the networking hardware.

For xmas i bought my parents a macbook, recently (not sure how recently as theyve only just told me its happening) they can be browsing the web then all of a sudden the internet takes ages to load, it stalls on 'trying to connect' for a long time (40+ for each web page).

Ive tried using firefox and the same thing happens so it looks like its not safari specific, during this time i cannot ping google.com through a terminal either or if i can the response time is unbelievably slow.

Now, ive tried disabling ipv6, ive set the dns servers to opendns and none of this has fixed it. if i click on the airport utility and turn it off and the back on it fixes the problem for a short period of time before it happens again.

anyone got any ideas or had similar problems?

thanks in advanced,

Scott

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm jumping the gun here a bit, but it sounds like a hardware issue to me. To be sure, connect the two MacBooks with a FireWire and start yours in target disk mode. Then start the other computer, holding the option key. Your computer's hard drive should appear as a boot option; boot to that and try connecting again. If that doesn't work, you have a hardware issue and should take it in to the shop.

(I'm pretty sure you should be able to boot over target disk mode. Let me know if it does work so I don't give out bad advice in the future. :p)

3. pooja-53 macrumors newbie

macbook wireless stops working after a while

This is a problem my daughter has with her Macbook Pro bought earlier this year. Its really irritating and is causing her great stress. She is a student and all the ohers in her house seem to be able to use the wireless without any difficulty - a mix of PCs and MacBooks. Hers in the only Macbook Pro and although its a really nice computer in other ways it is having real trouble with wireless. It is really slow when it is connected and drops connection frequently with page download impossibly slow when others are steaming away. The Mac shop couldn't offer any suggestions. She really wishes we hadn't bought it! Aaaagh!
    :mad:

4. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

i don't have a firewire cable blue :(, think i will reinstall mac osx on it, if that doesn't fix it, ring apple and see if they can send me a replacement.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

6. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

the reformat doesn't seem to have worked, ayone got any suggestions or should i just phone apple and see if they are willing to send me a replacement?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, could you try it with another wireless network? Go to a coffee shop or something?

8. joecap5 macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem and I think I know the reason.

I've been having the problem of my wireless connection not working even though Airport says I am connected.
    I temporarily fix the problem by turning airport off and then back on.

I noticed that the problem occurs when my wireless module gets hot, around 145F. I'm using the program Temperature Monitor.

Ever fix your problem?

9. Nocebo13 macrumors newbie

Possible Solution

I posted a fix at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...0#post10708990

But I'll re-post it here for convenience:

So I had the same problem many of you had: after a year or so without error, airport began saying that I was connected to a network, even though I wasn't getting any access to the internet.

After a long troubleshoot with an Apple guy, I have found at least one fix to this problem. This fix will be for those who are confident their problem isn't hardware.

Solution: First of all, Snow Leopard caches all the networks you've ever accessed (unless you've changed that particular option). Now for some reason, when you have accessed a fairly large number of networks, the bug comes up where you continue to "connect" to networks without actually connecting to the internet.

In order to remedy this issue you need to delete your cache of wireless networks.

To do this, first go to the Network menu in System Preferences. Highlight the Airport device in the box to the left for network devices and then go to advanced options. In this options menu make sure you are on the "Airport" tab. Once you are there, select all the networks that are listed in the Preferred Networks box and click the minus button to delete the cache of networks. With luck, this should free up your wireless.

If your internet isn't working immediately, I would recommend simply restarting your modem and router if you have access to them.