MacBook won't boot from SSD, but is readable from Windows partition.

mrmaroon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Hi guys,

So I swapped out my optical drive for an SSD, and boot OS X from the SSD. I have a bootcamp partition on my HDD.

Last night, while watching a film, everything froze up and became unresponsive (spinning beachball). I restarted, but when I restart the grey apple logo turns into a stop sign and will not change. I've resetted PRAM, tried to start in safe mode etc to no avail.

I can boot into my Windows partition on my HDD, which made me think the SSD is dead. However, everything on the SSD is readable (I'm finishing off the film I was watching when it froze!).

The recovery partition on the SSD won't boot either.

Am I going to have to wipe and reinstall? Is the SSD kaput? Is there some other way around it?

Cheers!

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Have you tried holding the "Option" key down during the boot process to select the proper drive?

mrmaroon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Have you tried holding the "Option" key down during the boot process to select the proper drive?
I have, yes.

So on my macbook I have an SSD and a HDD.

SSD - OS X & Recovery partition
HDD - Bootcamp.

Trying to boot into either OS X or Recovery doesn't work, but the HDD works fine. However, in windows I can access everything on the SSD. Weird!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have, yes.

So on my macbook I have an SSD and a HDD.

SSD - OS X & Recovery partition
HDD - Bootcamp.

Trying to boot into either OS X or Recovery doesn't work, but the HDD works fine. However, in windows I can access everything on the SSD. Weird!
Put the SSD in the SATA slot and the HDD into the SuperDrive slot.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Put the SSD in the SATA slot and the HDD into the SuperDrive slot.
As yjchua95 said, switch the drive locations. If I remember correctly, the boot drive must be located at the original SATA slot. The extra drive can be located where the SuperDrive used to be located.