MacBook7,1 upgrade from S.Leopard to H.Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by CooperBox, Jun 1, 2019.

1. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

My question's simple: Having just acquired the MacBook, can I directly perform a clean install of High Sierra on the current Snow Leopard HD of a mid 2010 13" MacBook7,1 (A1342) the last of the white 2.4GHz unibody MacBooks, or are incremental upgrades required, i.e Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan etc?
    I've just prepared a bootable USB High Sierra thumbdrive, so hope it's possible to install directly on the HD, or onto a new Samsung SSD.

2. CoastalOR, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

No. The minimum OS for installing High Sierra is 10.8.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

Once you have installed OS 10.8 or newer then you can upgrade to 10.13. All incremental upgrades are not required. Make sure you have good backups before performing any OS upgrades.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes -
    You can't directly install High Sierra (and upgrade a Snow Leopard system in one shot), but if you have a USB bootable High Sierra installer, you can boot to that, then erase the drive with Disk Utility.
    You lose everything that is already on the drive now, but sounds like you don't care about the existing system, and nothing that you want to save. Just erase it. Install High Sierra. Should work OK.
    Best results will be on an SSD, and sufficient RAM installed. Your 2010 Macbook can upgrade to 16GB, although 4GB, or anything higher, should work very nicely, with an SSD as the boot drive.

4. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 65816

CooperBox

Many thanks for both your replies.:)
    I'll try a clean install from a bootable High Sierra thumb drive and report back.