MacBookPro (MB985LL/A) cracked glass and bent back cover, can it be replaced? APL 1k?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macrd2000, May 30, 2012.

1. macrd2000, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

macrd2000 macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Because I have no luck, my 15' mid 2009 macbook pro fell from my desk into the ground, bashing the top right corner of the screen breaking the glass cover (only on that part) and bending the lcd back cover. The LCD is in perfect condition, so is the wifi and everything else, damage is just cosmetic.

I called Apple and they are charging close to a US$1,000 to replace plus labor, I have some questions to check if I can salvage it or am I doomed.

I have been told that from 2010 an onwards the LCD back cover was changed in the unibody 15' macs so that covers from 2010+ WILL NOT fit the 2009 models, is it true? Is mine a "Splitback"?

My entire display assembly was changed because of dead pixels in 2012 by an Apple certified dealer, What are the chances that it was changed to a 2010 assembly?

Can I salvage the screen by changing the front glass assembly and LCD back cover? LCD itself is mint

Am I doomed to pay Apple US1,000 for a laptop that will be obsolete in a few months?

The laptop has apple care until december 2012, but I guess in this case is useless.

Thanks for the help!

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

No way are you doomed! Fixing it yourself will void your warranty- but I did it myself about a week ago.

You are going to have to look for a late 2008-mid 2009 display assembly. I know these two will work with each other, from experience (rocking a mid 2009 in my late 2008 macbook). I do not know about the 2010 and above display assemblies, but I think they are a different build and use different LCDs. Use at your own risk, but I don't recommend.

If your LCD is in perfect condition, all you need to do is get a glass replacement. This only costs ~30 USD. Use iFixit for a guide, but I found their instructions didnt really work for me. Dadioh posted on the display backlight forum instructions in removing the glass that are very helpful, I recommend reading those (I'll try to find them...)

So heres how I think it will work for you

Step 1. Remove display assembly from computer (use iFixit.com instructions)

Step 2. Remove glass. Mine shattered a LOT! try not to ding your LCD with a screwdriver too ;)

Step 3. You can partially or totally remove the LCD from the back, and though this is not recommended by people, I actually took a hammer to the back of my laptop and was able to take out the dents in it :cool:

Step 4. Put new glass in. I recommend looking on ebay for glass, you can find some chinese sellers who put it for ~25 USD, but I got mine from a guy in guam that looked to be OEM for ~30.

And as for "splitback", you mac is not one. It is a name for late 2008 mbps with a removable battery cover. Your macbook is one model after that.

3. macrd2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! The LCD is in top shape, however, I know the front glass bezel is compatible, the main culprit is the back lcd cover, are those universal, or do Macbook Pro's from 2011/2010 are incompatible?

4. Astroboy907, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I * believe* they are incompatible. As 2010 models had an option for a high res display, I cannot guarantee LCD compatibility with newer ones.

My preference would be to take off the display assembly, glass, and remove the lcd. Once the lcd is removed, you only have the top case. I would try to get it back into shape with bending/hammering (use a thick cloth cover when hammering!), or if it is severely mangled, or you hate it ( :D ), you can probably find one on ebay for cheap. Ive seen a few back covers for $70 or so, you might be able to get them for less. Thing is, you have to move all internal display parts and cables over.

Checking some of the 2011 display assemblies on ebay, they seem similar in construction. The LCD itself should fit, but the iSight cutout seems noticeably different, and i cannot verify that the clutch cover/airport will fit right in it. And the sleep magnet is on the wrong side for your model (though pretty easily fixed with a small magnet strip or something)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Displa...puter_Cases&hash=item43b042f274#ht_500wt_1377

Theres a link for one currently on ebay (just basically the first one that came up when i searched :D )
    Has a dent in the back... but its for a late-2008/mid-2009 (can tell because of Isight)

Oh, and looking further at 2010 teardowns, theres a huge difference... Bluetooth board is near logic board instead of at top of the display...