MacBook's dead, but the hard drive's still readable -- best way to get the data?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by graceygirl83, Feb 2, 2011.

1. graceygirl83 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new here but my friend talks about you guys a lot so I thought I'd ask this question here:

I spilled on my MacBook last week (13" aluminum model from 2009) and it killed the motherboard, but the guys at the Genius Bar said the drive's still readable. They wanted $200 to get the data onto my new computer, and that seemed ridiculous to me. I've tinkered inside a few PCs, and I'm not that familiar with Macs, $200 seemed a bit high. I imagine all I need to do is get an enclosure for the hard drive and then connect it to my new MacBook Pro. Though after having to break into the DVD drive to get out an important DVD for work, I'm a litter discouraged.

Honestly, the only thing that was on my hard drive that I didn't have backed up was my music collection (the stuff not on my iPod) and really mundane stuff, like some lists I had on Stickies.

Any suggestions on how to access the old data?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Go to iFixit.com, and look at the instructions for removing your HDD there. You'll need some kind of SATA to USB adaptor (either an enclosure/dock, or just the adaptor), and a Mac to read it. You can also use some versions of Linux to read the drive, such as Ubuntu.