Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
ok i don't know what happened but all of a sudden the mach_kernal file is actually visible on my HD..... my comptuer works just fine it's just scary and annoying that it is appearing now..... any ideas why? or how can i hide it?

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
I don't know. Where is it (what folder)? What method are you using to see it? Are you logged in as root or a normal user? What version of OSX?

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
freiheit said:
I don't know. Where is it (what folder)? What method are you using to see it? Are you logged in as root or a normal user? What version of OSX?

10.4.2 normal user with administrator access and it's in the root level of the HD

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 163

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
the botlib.log file is from halo... or is it quake 3? well one of those 2 that damn file doesn't go away but i dont' really care, the mach_kernal is very important that's why i dont like it just chillin there.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
macrlz9 said:
ok i don't know what happened but all of a sudden the mach_kernal file is actually visible on my HD..... my comptuer works just fine it's just scary and annoying that it is appearing now..... any ideas why? or how can i hide it?
Have you done a reinstall of your OS?

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
MisterMe said:
Have you done a reinstall of your OS?
well i'm sure that would solve the problem, but i just didn't wanna go thru the hassle. if no one has any ideas i'll just ignore it until i feel like reinstalling again.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It looks like it lost its invisible attribute.

If you have Xcode installed, you can use this command:

sudo /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /mach_kernel

If you don't have that handy, you can use XRay to flip it.

(to see the changes you will need to restart the Finder, control-option-click on Finder's Dock icon and relaunch.)

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
It's interesting, but i"m sure it can be safely ignored. It's viewable from the Terminal so it's not like it's a huge privacy concern -- if anyone wanted to get at it, they could even if it wasn't showing in Finder. As long as the security and permissions on the file are set right, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'd go with ignoring it as well, but I can definitely see why it's wigging you out--it either is supposed to be set with an invisible attribute, so it gives pause when that suddenly changes for no apparent reason. Sure, its being visible doesn't hurt, but the question is why.

Did you, out of curiosity, install anything before you noticed this? Perhaps some 3rd party program, or run a disk utility of some sort? That might explain it.

Two things you might try if you haven't already: repairing permissions might include the visibility bit, which would fix it. That, and run whateer disk utilities you do have to see if they report anything amiss with the drive that might indicate a more significant problem. Just to be paranoid.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It's probably nothing serious. There were some changes in Tiger that can make some pretty mundane activities unhide those files. One case is covered here.

Out of curiosity I tried twiddling some visibility flags and seeing if Disk Futility's repair permissions would notice, and it ignores that. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.