Macintosh Classic Worth £150 ($225)?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Goftrey, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I've been on the hunt for a macintosh for a while now and have found someone who will sell me their macintosh classic, with original box, packaging, keyboard, mouse etc. For £150 or $225.

Its running system 7, has 2mb ram, 40mb HDD, floppy disc etc.

£150 is a lot of money to me as it's 2 months wages (paper round) :p

I've always wanted one so I can own a bit of history but don't want to make a foolish decision.

2. Interceptor2 macrumors newbie

wait on! do you mean one of these? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic

if so £150 is very silly. I am about to put the next model up a Classic II on ebay and I expect it to sell for MUCH less. Maybe I am soft in the head but, if you were to pay £150 for a Mac Classic I would feel sick! You would have been had for a mug! :eek:

The Classic II has a few worthy improvements over a Classic (again which I'll be selling later in the year). If you're interested in buying a Classic Mac pm me, mine are at MUCH lower prices and I'm on the English/Welsh border too.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I don't know how UK prices compare to US prices, but having the original box, packaging, etc. carries a significant premium.

I did a quick search of completed eBay auctions, and most have sold for $25-75 US, but most of those were either the computer by itself or on the high end included a keyboard and mouse. There were 3 that sold for more, one sold for $100 (very clean but no keyboard or mouse), another for $250 (included many accessories and a printer, but had extreme yellowing) and another for $500, which had good color and included the original box and packaging/manuals, plus keyboard and mouse.

That completed auction is here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80075&item=150711159798

If all Goftrey wants is a working Macintosh, hold off, but $225 seems like a fair price because of the box and packaging included.

4. tyche macrumors 6502

The Classic is a rather disappointing model. A better version to look for is the SE or Classic II. I know it's hard to wait when you want something but then you end up making rash choices.

Personally, I don't consider a banged up box or 'original packaging' to increase the value of the hardware but that's just me.

5. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hi, my PM has been playing up for a while and it won't let me send messages, so I'll just say it here...

I'm interested. :)

Give me a shout when you are willing to sell it.

Cheers

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Excellent price for CIB...

My first Mac, I bought one new back in the day and sold it a few years later with everything for almost nothing before I started collecting - wish I hadn't...

7. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Kicking myself for not saving my SE/30 8MB of RAM and an 80MB hard drive right now.

8. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Yes. $225 for a Classic complete, in box (unless the thing is in horrible condition) is a very good price for a collector. But it sounds like Goftrey is looking for an inexpensive first older Mac to play around with, so having the box isn't any real big deal to someone in that situation. Goftrey should just hold on and keep looking, decent working models are out there for far less.

9. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I was thinking this exact thing and decided I won't keep it in the box forever and not even plug it in. I want one that I can have fun with and enjoy.

I'm currently in talks with Interceptor2 about a Macintosh Classic II