Macintosh HD has over 150Gb of hidden files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deanrice, Mar 13, 2012.

1. deanrice macrumors newbie

Hi All

Firstly thanks for your help in advance with this, I have used many free programs to try and find the hidden files that are filling my hardrive with nothing obvious being found. I have noted that this space is not decreasing so I dont think its a running log file although im by no means an expert!

Here's what my Macbook Pro is saying from the "About my Mac/Storage Tab": -

Audio = 17.96 Gb
    Movies = 2.95 Gb
    Photo's = 5.57 Gb
    Apps = 8.25 Gb
    Backups = 301 Mb
    Other = 154.06 Gb

My storage status is as follows: - 249 Gb drive with 60.3 Gb free

I appreciate that i need something like OmniDiskSweeper that will show me hidden log files etc but I have found nothing. I was away for 3 months without my TC and thought this may have something to do with it but once checking volumes there is only my Macintosh HD as an alias with nothing else mounted and nothing obvious with regard to hidden TC back ups

Im running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b) and the machine is a mid 2009 2.53 GHz, 4gB 1067 MHz DDR3

Please can someone help!

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. deanrice thread starter macrumors newbie

Firstly thankyou for your very detailed reply!

I have now resolved the issue by using Onyx, following the App instruction and then rebooting in recovery mode by using Control - R when rebooting, using the repair disc utility and rebooting as normal, all fixed!!

Thanks Again..