Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who will be winning the title in 2007 - 2008

• Ferrari (even if they don't have Schumacher)

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • McLaren (because Raikonen and JPM are amazing)

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Renault (because Alonso will just keep on winning)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Team Red Bull/Scuderia etc.. will have bought all remaining teams!!!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • None of the Above ?!?!

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Not a surprise considering the news the other week of them dumping Man Utd and reviewing their Ferrari contract, but I believe it's more due to the fact that they wanted team title status, something they couldn't get at Ferrari.... e.g. Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, not Scuderia Ferrari Vodafone ;)

As far as I'm aware, Marlboro actually purchase the entire advertising space of Ferrari's F1 cars, and then sells sections off to other sponsers. This also ties in with the rumours that Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro will get round the tobacco ban by essentially running a plain red car, and developing their brand from there.

Not sure about McLaren on the rise though, Newey has just left, rumours are that other key design staff are not happy, their star driver is pissed at the lack of reliability and Mercedes are in the sh*t financially.

Loved the poll by the way...

Team Red Bull/Scuderia etc.. will have bought all remaining teams!!! :p :p :p

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Nice idea....

I think that McLaren will be a very strong contender next season, but after that they may slide a bit due to the stuff iGAV mentioned. But with Kimi at the wheel they still have a good chance to win as long as build a car that can acutally last a whole race. :rolleyes:

Renault - definitely a contender. I think it could be another Renault/Mclaren battle in '06, but who knows where Ferrari, the Japanese teams and Williams will be, not to mention Red Bull.

Williams could be a surprise team with all the shake-ups. The Cossie engine will be good anyhow.

Oh, and then there's Sauber/BMW....man this is complicated. :D

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Personally I think that an open competition with lots of teams winning is the most exciting, personally (since the demise of jaguar who I supported from start to finish) I have been support DC as well BAR, but I like watching McLaren doing well also. What a complication. So lets hope we have another close competition next year.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Lord Blackadder said:
Nice idea....

I think that McLaren will be a very strong contender next season, but after that they may slide a bit due to the stuff iGAV mentioned. But with Kimi at the wheel they still have a good chance to win as long as build a car that can acutally last a whole race. :rolleyes:

Renault - definitely a contender. I think it could be another Renault/Mclaren battle in '06, but who knows where Ferrari, the Japanese teams and Williams will be, not to mention Red Bull.

Williams could be a surprise team with all the shake-ups. The Cossie engine will be good anyhow.

Oh, and then there's Sauber/BMW....man this is complicated. :D

Does this mean we're gonna see red McLarens (fingers crossed for Senna/ Prost-era McLaren paint job:cool: )?

BTW Nice poll up top! I thought BAR would do well next year, and by voting I instantly add 25% to the poll.:D

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
redbull.gif

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
Sydney
iGav said:
Not a surprise considering the news the other week of them dumping Man Utd and reviewing their Ferrari contract, but I believe it's more due to the fact that they wanted team title status, something they couldn't get at Ferrari.... e.g. Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, not Scuderia Ferrari Vodafone ;)

As far as I'm aware, Marlboro actually purchase the entire advertising space of Ferrari's F1 cars, and then sells sections off to other sponsers. This also ties in with the rumours that Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro will get round the tobacco ban by essentially running a plain red car, and developing their brand from there.

Not sure about McLaren on the rise though, Newey has just left, rumours are that other key design staff are not happy, their star driver is pissed at the lack of reliability and Mercedes are in the sh*t financially.

Loved the poll by the way...

Team Red Bull/Scuderia etc.. will have bought all remaining teams!!! :p :p :p

Newey was meant to leave, it was a 2 year long process of him wrapping things up and not a sudden decision. ron has his work cut out but with the performance in 05 compared to 1H04, mclarens are on the rise. have been fastest yet in pre-season testing.
as far as mercedes being in the sh*t financially, there has been a turnaround in the past year since the new CEO took over. besides fiat is in a bigger mess. kimi is the man and mclaren are the team for 06. just hope that the kimi + ferrari rumors for 07 dont come true.
biggest challenge next year for mclaren would be the cossie powered williams.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Kace said:
Newey was meant to leave, it was a 2 year long process of him wrapping things up and not a sudden decision. ron has his work cut out but with the performance in 05 compared to 1H04, mclarens are on the rise. have been fastest yet in pre-season testing.
as far as mercedes being in the sh*t financially, there has been a turnaround in the past year since the new CEO took over. besides fiat is in a bigger mess. kimi is the man and mclaren are the team for 06. just hope that the kimi + ferrari rumors for 07 dont come true.
biggest challenge next year for mclaren would be the cossie powered williams.

I think Newey was a more sudden departure than has been portrayed myself... but that's just an opinion. Either way the departure of F1's most successful designer is going to hurt them. It'll be interesting to see if Tomazis leaves as well.

But I agree that there turnaround was impressive, but... the turn around really happened mid way through 2004 as soon as they decided to develop and focus on one car rather than the whole 17-D, 18, 19, 19-B fiasco of previous seasons.

It's difficult to draw conclusions on testing so far, I don't think McLaren have been looking anywhere near the strongest, and rumours point to Mercedes struggling with their V8. No team has been dominating though... if anything the Williams-Cosworth is looking massively strong and I still predict they'll be the surprise team of '06, and I can't wait to see what Button says then. hahahaha.

As for FIAT, they only contribute about $10 million to Ferrari's budget... which is basically sponsor money really isn't it. ;) to the point where Ferrari probably wouldn't miss it. :eek:

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Renault is a POS. They only won this year because of all the crap McLaren had to deal with. 07-08 will be between Ferrari and McLaren. Renault got lucky this year and Ferrari and McLaren wont let it happen again.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
bursty said:
Renault is a POS. They only won this year because of all the crap McLaren had to deal with. 07-08 will be between Ferrari and McLaren. Renault got lucky this year and Ferrari and McLaren wont let it happen again.

I wouldn't go that far - McLaren was the only team that had a faster car than Renault and they broke down more often than not. Even if McLaren had won the races they should have, Renault would be comfortably in second and well ahead of the rest.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Lord Blackadder said:
I wouldn't go that far - McLaren was the only team that had a faster car than Renault and they broke down more often than not. Even if McLaren had won the races they should have, Renault would be comfortably in second and well ahead of the rest.
Ferrari had tire issues and McLaren had the obvious reliability problems. Like I said, they will not let that happen again, so Renault wont be on top for long.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
iGav said:
I think Newey was a more sudden departure than has been portrayed myself... but that's just an opinion. Either way the departure of F1's most successful designer is going to hurt them. It'll be interesting to see if Tomazis leaves as well.

But I agree that there turnaround was impressive, but... the turn around really happened mid way through 2004 as soon as they decided to develop and focus on one car rather than the whole 17-D, 18, 19, 19-B fiasco of previous seasons.

It's difficult to draw conclusions on testing so far, I don't think McLaren have been looking anywhere near the strongest, and rumours point to Mercedes struggling with their V8. No team has been dominating though... if anything the Williams-Cosworth is looking massively strong and I still predict they'll be the surprise team of '06, and I can't wait to see what Button says then. hahahaha.

Is Newey leaving formula one or just McLaren? I haven't been keeping up with my formula one stuff so this is news to me. It will be a big loss for McLaren that is for sure. Since he was one of(if not even) the best designer in the forumula one.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Kace said:
mclarens are on the rise. have been fastest yet in pre-season testing

McLarens are always fastest in pre-season testing. It was notoriously embarassing during the 2000-2004 golden age of Ferrari -- each year McLarens had the best speed before the first race, but still Ferrari was a second a lap quicker once the racing began. Remember?

However, I surely hope McLaren can offer Kimi a good car this year. Last year they only lost due to reliability problems. Together with the massive regulation changes this now sounds amazingly like pre-1998 season ;)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
alexstein said:
Is Newey leaving formula one or just McLaren?

Both, actually. He'll earn some very good money the next three(ish) years and then he will retire. He already wanted to, but his heart seems to be Jaguar-shaped ;)

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
JFreak said:
McLarens are always fastest in pre-season testing. It was notoriously embarassing during the 2000-2004 golden age of Ferrari -- each year McLarens had the best speed before the first race, but still Ferrari was a second a lap quicker once the racing began. Remember?

However, I surely hope McLaren can offer Kimi a good car this year. Last year they only lost due to reliability problems. Together with the massive regulation changes this now sounds amazingly like pre-1998 season ;)

McLaren-Mercedes always have pretty powerful engines. However the reliability gets them every season. If Mercedes would take care of the engine they seem to have a pretty good package with Kimi as a driver. (That kid has potental)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
alexstein said:
McLaren-Mercedes always have pretty powerful engines. However the reliability gets them every season.)

It's not just Mercedes fault though, I seem to recall that it was actually the design of the MP4-19A that contributed to the unreliability of the Mercedes engine at the start of the '04 season and was only rectified with the MP4-19B.

McLaren have got no one to blame but themselves though... between '98-'03 they weren't all that bad, and '88-'91 they were legendary for that era, but ever since the MP4-18 fiasco of '03 they've struggled with reliability... McLaren take the approach that it's easier to make a fast car reliable, than it is to make a slow car fast... that's a brave way of doing things when there's mumblings in the pits that your lead driver is a bit of a car breaker. :p

Newey will undoubtedly weave his magic at Red Bull, though his influence can only really be measured from the start of the '07 season, as his input in the '06 car will be neglible.

I suspect... McLaren will struggle from '07, if Tombazis leaves, they've lost the greatest talent in their design team, and I suspect that Kimi after another season of unreliability will want to jump ship as well.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
iGav said:
I suspect... McLaren will struggle from '07, if Tombazis leaves, they've lost the greatest talent in their design team, and I suspect that Kimi after another season of unreliability will want to jump ship as well.

I hate say it, but McLaren without Kimi sounds like a recipe for mediocrity, despite the fact that I'ma fan of JPM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.