Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I remember a long thread where there were instructions on how to update the old Core Duo 2 MacMini to, if I recall correct, 10.8, mine is stuck at 10.7 which is no big deal but before I attempt to make use of it as a media center to stream AAC (yep, I think the best option is to convert FLAC to AAC and use iTunes) I'd like to attempt the upgrade and, later on, eventually switch to an SSD if it does what I would like it to do.

Would anybody either point me to that thread or to the necessary steps to upgrade?

Grazie

p.s. I updated the Mini original CPU to a 2.33GHZ one and as such it's a 64bit machine, still if I recall correct

mr_hyde

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
Italy
Mine (Late 2009, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo) is running Mac OS X 10.11.6 "El Capitan" and this is the last Mac OS X version for this mini.
Did nothing special: just updated each time from Apple Store ("native" OS if I remember correctly was Snow Leopard).

Ciao da Genova,
Mr Hyde

Reactions: ChrisChaval

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
Mine (Late 2009, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo) is running Mac OS X 10.11.6 "El Capitan" and this is the last Mac OS X version for this mini.
Did nothing special: just updated each time from Apple Store ("native" OS if I remember correctly was Snow Leopard).

Ciao da Genova,
Mr Hyde

sad but true

I own one of those, too

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I remember that mine doesn't want to update past 10.7.x, not through built in update system nor by manually launching the setup once downloaded the OS from Apple Store, I remember a very long thread explaining how to update and the limitations, basically some service would not work but I don't remember either how to nor which would the limitations be, in the meantime I will put it back to work, convert my FLAC to ALAC so that I can use iTunes to play music and figure how to skip using mouse and keyboard to select tracks, since it will be placed where the stereo system is along with the TV screen no big of a deal given I have a DVI to HDMI cable so can use the TV as a monitor but less cables (keyboard and mouse) is always a blessing.

Grazie

Giovanni

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Officially? 10.11 El Capitan. Unofficially? 10.14 Mojave. High Sierra will run with no issues other than potentially no Wifi, and High Sierra has some graphical glitches if you're using light mode.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I remember that mine doesn't want to update past 10.7.x, not through built in update system nor by manually launching the setup once downloaded the OS from Apple Store, I remember a very long thread explaining how to update and the limitations, basically some service would not work but I don't remember either how to nor which would the limitations be, in the meantime I will put it back to work, convert my FLAC to ALAC so that I can use iTunes to play music and figure how to skip using mouse and keyboard to select tracks, since it will be placed where the stereo system is along with the TV screen no big of a deal given I have a DVI to HDMI cable so can use the TV as a monitor but less cables (keyboard and mouse) is always a blessing.

Grazie

Giovanni
Are you sure your Mac mini is a 2009, and not a 2007 or 2006 upgraded to Core 2 Duo?

If it's a 2007 or 2006, this question was asked recently. Putting mountain lion on 2007 mac Mini

I should have a copy of MLPostFactor I can post to that thread if needed, as it's apparently hard to find now. The instructions are in the video in post #8.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Are you sure your Mac mini is a 2009, and not a 2007 or 2006 upgraded to Core 2 Duo?

If it's a 2007 or 2006, this question was asked recently. Putting mountain lion on 2007 mac Mini

I should have a copy of MLPostFactor I can post to that thread if needed, as it's apparently hard to find now. The instructions are in the video in post #8.

You are right, it's not a 2009 model but an earlier one to whom I upgraded the CPU since it's on a socket, I think I have that MLPostFactor somewhere but dunno if it works, will have to carefully check the instructions and try again but would also like to know if possible to then upgrade the EFI so that it can run in 64 bit mode.

Grazie ancora

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You are right, it's not a 2009 model but an earlier one to whom I upgraded the CPU since it's on a socket, I think I have that MLPostFactor somewhere but dunno if it works, will have to carefully check the instructions and try again but would also like to know if possible to then upgrade the EFI so that it can run in 64 bit mode.

Grazie ancora
Go to :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > System Report. If next to Model Identifier you see Macmini1,1, it's an upgraded 2006 model and should be updated to the Macmini2,1 2007 firmware. But that's the farthest it can go.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
It's a Mac mini 2.1 with EFI 1.3, how do I upgrade to a higher version to take advantage of the upgraded CPU and, hopefully, run 10.7/10.8 in 64bit mode?

IMG_0608.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your macmini2,1 is already 64-bit hardware, even before you upgraded the CPU. If it came new with core2duo processors, then it's a 64-bit system.
Is there some reason that you think it is now running in 32-bit mode?

You could also upgrade your RAM. The system supports a pair of 2GB memory sticks, although it will only recognize and use 3GB. But, upgrading your system, and adding some memory might give you a more useful result.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Just for the sake of curiosity I switched on the other Mini I own which a while ago was my son's computer, found out that it's similarly spec but updated firmware and more RAM, also the OS is a higher version being 10.7 so I wonder why the other one, the one discussing in this thread, won't upgrade to 10.7.

Also, this latter one's EFI seems being older as 1.19 so why the hell can't I upgrade the other one? At this point I might swap the RAM off the 1.83GHZ one to the one I upgraded the CPU but there still is the issue of not being able to upgrade the OS, today I gave it another try with Lion but no success, install won't start as not being supported by the hardware :mad:

MacMini.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.