macOS 10.15 Catalina on Unsupported Macs

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

hybra

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
Great news (for my old MBP4,1 anyway) - got the 10.15.4 beta 1 up and running with NVidia GT full acceleration!
Does that mean that I can expect some performance improvements with 10.15.4? I am on 10.15.2 on my MBP 4,1 now (dosdude patch), quite well and without issues. But if there will be improvements I may decide to push forward to the newer version, so what upgrade method will be necessary to use?

Reactions: TimothyR734

Larsvonhier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Does that mean that I can expect some performance improvements with 10.15.4? I am on 10.15.2 on my MBP 4,1 now (dosdude patch), quite well and without issues. But if there will be improvements I may decide to push forward to the newer version, so what upgrade method will be necessary to use?
First, if you have 10.15.2 with graphics card patches for your MBP4,1 you should run with full accel already. No change here with an update to 10.15.4. Improvements are more in the field of bug fixes, better hand-off functionality (at least if you have exchanged the old wifi card with a newer one), extended alternative input methods (i.e. camera based mouse pointer movement). Simply put, no disadvantages, a couple of improvements. Once 10.5.4 is out in a final release, it should be a no-brainer ;-)
Until then, you need a APFS capable (patched) boot ROM to update from .2 or .4 - and the two scripts that make the update appear at all in system settings and let the computer boot the 2nd installer stage. Without this, you´d end up with the existing installation untouched.

vince22

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
DAMN...

Do you have an instruction to do so?

Thankyou.

Updates are working then?
it will work with catalina
DAMN...

Do you have an instruction to do so?

Thankyou.

Updates are working then?
yes it will work with catalina, no cloning needed, use terminal to create a raid, create a gpt and format it APFS, install Catalina right the very end of installation, you get "bless" error, move or rename bootcaches.plist to bootcaches.bak before rebooting, installation will finish, same procedure after applying updates rename bootcaches.plist. good luck.

raid-catalina.png

Reactions: 16v and TimothyR734

Macschrauber

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Yes, I did both: reapplied detected patches for the MacPro5,1: rebooted and no integrated audio. Then again booted from the boot USB and tried applying the "Legacy Audio Patch" from @dosdude1's patcher and still no integrated audio. 😭
You dont need an audio patch for 5.1, you can just get it away the easy way by re installing the complete system over it.

After all you dont need a single patch for Catalina for 5.1, except the unsupported nvram argument.

sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"

Last edited:

gbecattini

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Hello Friends,
there are two months that I am using my Mac 3,1 with Catalina thanks to your wonderful work, absolutely without any problem.
Today I had a doubt: how did I left the SIP? I checked and I am getting the following messages:
  • Apple Internal: disabled
  • Kext Signing: disabled
  • Filesystem Protections: disabled
  • Debugging Restrictions: disabled
  • DTrace Restrictions: disabled
  • NVRAM Protections: disabled
  • BaseSystem Verification: disabled
I tried PRAM reset and then I booted an old DVD and used Terminal from the setup menu to to "csrutil enable", and I got the success message.

But again from Catalina I get the same messages list.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

16v

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2018
it will work with catalina

yes it will work with catalina, no cloning needed, use terminal to create a raid, create a gpt and format it APFS, install Catalina right the very end of installation, you get "bless" error, move or rename bootcaches.plist to bootcaches.bak before rebooting, installation will finish, same procedure after applying updates rename bootcaches.plist. good luck.

View attachment 895737
O.k.

But
Do you have detailed instructions how to do it?
Thank you

TimothyR734

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hello Friends,
there are two months that I am using my Mac 3,1 with Catalina thanks to your wonderful work, absolutely without any problem.
Today I had a doubt: how did I left the SIP? I checked and I am getting the following messages:
  • Apple Internal: disabled
  • Kext Signing: disabled
  • Filesystem Protections: disabled
  • Debugging Restrictions: disabled
  • DTrace Restrictions: disabled
  • NVRAM Protections: disabled
  • BaseSystem Verification: disabled
I tried PRAM reset and then I booted an old DVD and used Terminal from the setup menu to to "csrutil enable", and I got the success message.

But again from Catalina I get the same messages list.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
That is normal to see that when the SIP is disabled and it needs to be kept disabled others the patches could fail

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.