Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Sincere apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I am a little desperate ! I have an iMac running MacOs 9.0.4. I have a firewire drive, and also use iMovie connected to a digital camera. I can no longer see the icon for the Firewire drive, and iMovie shows 'camera disconnected'. Apple System Profiler no longer even shows a Firewire bus, let alone any devices on it. Firewire enabled etc Extensions still exist, and are enabled.
Any clues anyone ? Please !!
Any help would be much appreciated !

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Try zapping the PRAM. Since you know what Apple System Profiler is and thought to look there, you probably know how to do this, but here it is anyway:

1. Turn off or restart your computer
2. After you hear the initial chime, hold down the command (apple), option, P, and R keys.
3. The computer will chime again
4. Repeat steps 2-3 a few times to make sure your PRAM is cleared
5. After you do that, the system should boot

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: MacOS 9 iMac lost connectivity to anything Firewire

Originally posted by philks
Sincere apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I am a little desperate ! I have an iMac running MacOs 9.0.4. I have a firewire drive, and also use iMovie connected to a digital camera. I can no longer see the icon for the Firewire drive, and iMovie shows 'camera disconnected'. Apple System Profiler no longer even shows a Firewire bus, let alone any devices on it. Firewire enabled etc Extensions still exist, and are enabled.
Any clues anyone ? Please !!
Any help would be much appreciated !

It might be a good idea to update to 9.1 or even 9.2 if you have the correct hardware. If I remember correctly, 9.0-9.0.4 were a little bit finicky.

philks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Thank you all for your help. I did try zapping the PRAM, but sadly to no avail. I think it's time to take the bull by the horns, and go for a proper upgrade to Jaguar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.