MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
The macOS Big Sur 11.5 update is now available for download! This post will be continually updated with the latest info.
UPDATED: 7/22

Details
  • New Features – 1
  • New Resolved Issues – 2
  • New Enterprise Features - 2
  • New Enterprise Fixes - 7
  • Security Fixes - 35
New Features
  1. Podcasts Library tab allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows
Resolved Issues
  1. Music may not update play count and last played date in your library
  2. Smart cards may not work when logging into Mac computers with the M1 chip
Installer and Update Details
  • Full Installer = 12GB
  • Delta Update Size 11.4 > 11.5 = 2.9GB
  • Combo Update Size 11.0.1 > 11.5 = 3-12GB
  • Full Software Update Size (Sometimes needed if your Mac os snapshot is unsealed) = 11.5GB
  • Safari Update - Updated = 14.1.2 (16611.3.10.1.3)
  • Intel Mac T2 Bridge OS Updated = Updated - 18.16.14759.0.1
  • Apple Silicon Firmware Updated = Updated - 6723.140.2
My What's New in macOS Big Sur 11.5 Update Article

My What's New in macOS Big Sur 11.5 in 5 Minutes Video

macOS Big Sur Full Installer Database (InstallAssistant.pkg)
https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-big-sur-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

Apple Silicon IPSW macOS Big Sur Restore File Database (Monterey Beta M1 Restores)
https://mrmacintosh.com/apple-silicon-m1-full-macos-restore-ipsw-firmware-files-database/

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2020
Does anyone know if it fixes the issue with slow fusion drives?

Tell us more. I have had no problems with Fusion Drives, both internal to my iMac and external (1 HDD + 1 SSD), over operating systems from 10.14, 10.15, 11.0~11.5.
I was able to make one slow down, however, by having a large Virtual Machine on my Fusion drive, rather than on an external SSD. It took over much of the space on the SSD component of my Fusion drive, making everything else run off the HDD. Consequently everything ran very slowly till I moved the VM, then it all got back to normal.

dotck

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Does anyone know if it fixes the issue with slow fusion drives?
I can't notice a performance difference between Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur related to the Fusion Drive. However, I'm using an all-SSD Fusion Drive configuration so it might not be representative for those with the regular SSD/HDD configuration.

Update to 11.5 went pretty smooth. No (new) issues found so far.

ranjan2001

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2021
Updated to 11.5 & it seems to have solved one bug, HDMI port wont wake up correctly after the sleep, instead it will show white noise on screen, I had to unplug the cable & it worked fine thereafter.

Last 12 hours I made the mac sleep 11 times & it hasn't happened once, hope it remains like this.
Seems the firmware update solved the problem since it was related to hardware.

nph

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2005
What about battery time? 11.4 has given me outstanding battery life!

Pierre535

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2017
Updated to 11.5 & it seems to have solved one bug, HDMI port wont wake up correctly after the sleep, instead it will show white noise on screen, I had to unplug the cable & it worked fine thereafter.

Last 12 hours I made the mac sleep 11 times & it hasn't happened once, hope it remains like this.
Seems the firmware update solved the problem since it was related to hardware.
Updated to 11.5. Restarted with laptop open and connected to HP monitor via HDMI. After restart both displays were active, but when I went to clamshell mode, the HP display went black and displayed no signal detected. Rebooted several times with monitor turned off, monitor disconnected and all of a sudden monitor came to life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.