Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Good day!

Device: iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 4 cores, 32 Go 1600 MHz DDR3 and 1TB SSD

Issue: Sometime, it decides to freeze on me when launching or closing an application. Other times, it's slow and the most annoying, safari for some reasons, won't load a page. I launch firefox, everything is fine.

What would you recommend?
- Backup and wipe clean?
- Reinstall keep app and files? (is it like windows and it's not gonna be better? like windows upgrade? ;) )
- ?

Thanks for your input!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Have you tried to boot to Recovery and run First Aid on your SSD? I would do that to see if the SSD is healthy. You didn't mention which version of macOS you're running and what trouble shooting you've already done?

Make sure you keep your backups up to date just in case. Wiping the machine clean and reinstalling apps from backup may not help if it's a software problem. However, sometimes a clean install can resolve annoying problems like freezing and kernel panics.

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Ok! Will try the first aid on the SSD, could that corrupt anything or I should be doing a backup first?

I am using 10.15.4.

I haven't done any troubleshooting at the moment! To be honest, I might have reinstalled macOS once, only when I changed the internal 3TB HDD to a 1 TB SSD.

Mac just works... :) but not now ;)

EDITS: First aid completed, green checkmark!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.