macOS High Sierra (10.13) Unsupported Macs Thread

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

techinfant

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Hi all, just bumping up this request for pointers on how to get my MBP 5,5 to boot HS again. I tried changing the system date to Aug 1, 2019, but still unable to get past the bright boot screen despite running dosdude’s latest post-install patch. Also unable to re-install HS in-place, because “the installed version is more current”. Wondering if I can somehow rollback my HS version, or force an install in-place? Thank you in advance for your guidance!!

Amigos, need some help with High Sierra on my late ‘09 MBP 5’5. I recently ran a recommended patch update, and tried to reboot, but ever since I’m unable to get past the light colored loading screen. I tried reinstalling HS over the current install using the latest patcher, but it doesn’t allow me to do so on the premise that my installed version is more current than the version from the patcher tool. I tried the post install cache rebuild, and I get a warning that the installed HS is not a valid copy. Despite the warning, it appears to proceed and rebuild the cache, but still doesn’t get past the light-colored boot screen. What other recourse do I have? Any way to roll back my version of HS, so I can reinstall over it? I’m trying to avoid upgrading to Mojave or Catalina, as I’ve read they are even more finicky with the MBP 5’5. I’m very open to any suggestions, thank you!

avz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2018
Hi all, just bumping up this request for pointers on how to get my MBP 5,5 to boot HS again. I tried changing the system date to Aug 1, 2019, but still unable to get past the bright boot screen despite running dosdude’s latest post-install patch. Also unable to re-install HS in-place, because “the installed version is more current”. Wondering if I can somehow rollback my HS version, or force an install in-place? Thank you in advance for your guidance!!
Maybe I am just slow but there is not enough info to work with in order to help you.

What is the recommended patch that you installed? Pull your HDD out to recover your data from a different Mac and do a clean install.

techinfant

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Maybe I am just slow but there is not enough info to work with in order to help you.

What is the recommended patch that you installed? Pull your HDD out to recover your data from a different Mac and do a clean install.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I don’t remember exactly which patch it was now, but it was through Patch Updater, and in the December timeframe.

Thank you for the suggestion to recover the data and do a clean install.

Thinking out loud, is there any risk to upgrading to Mojave on MBP 5,5? And is it possible to roll back from Mojave to HS?

avz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2018
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I don’t remember exactly which patch it was now, but it was through Patch Updater, and in the December timeframe.

Thank you for the suggestion to recover the data and do a clean install.

Thinking out loud, is there any risk to upgrading to Mojave on MBP 5,5? And is it possible to roll back from Mojave to HS?
Yes, it is possible, but I usually do a clean install. I am not sure if you can go "in place" from Mojave to High Sierra and keep your datas.
I suggest you to learn about APFS local snapshots, they will allow you to return to "where you once were" in a matter of seconds in case of a failed update. It is absolutely must for our unsupported machines.

Reactions: techinfant

techinfant

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Yes, it is possible, but I usually do a clean install. I am not sure if you can go "in place" from Mojave to High Sierra and keep your datas.
I suggest you to learn about APFS local snapshots, they will allow you to return to "where you once were" in a matter of seconds in case of a failed update. It is absolutely must for our unsupported machines.
Thank you for the follow up! Will look into APFS snapshots.

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
Apple released the security update 2020-001 10.13.6 with Safari 13.0.5. Can it be installed without problems? Does the patch 2.7.0 still work or we need for a new version?

Last edited:
Reactions: honeycombz

honeycombz

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2013
Apple released the security update 2020-001 10.13.6 with Safari 13.0.5. Can it be installed without problems? Does the patch 2.7.0 still work or we need for a new version?
Any word on this?

Also, can someone explain what the Security And OS Standalone Updates method in the first post accomplishes? Is that how I should be applying security updates to patched systems?

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
can someone explain what the Security And OS Standalone Updates method in the first post accomplishes? Is that how I should be applying security updates to patched systems?
The instructions in the first message are incomplete, a passage is missing. You must follow those of 10.14.

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I just did the update on my 3,1 Mac mini, and it went perfectly. I didn't even need to do post-install again. In my experiences on this machine, the updates work much better, and this time perfectly, if you use APFS.

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 12.03.51 PM.png

borgo1971

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Hi. Even I didn't really need your patcher (until now I used it only to download macOS installers), I would say that I'm grateful for your software. But now I've a question for which I can't find an answer here or in other place. Is there a way to prepare an external drive to boot with an iMac 8,1, doing all the job on my (2011) MacBook Pro? Can I install High Sierra with normal Apple installer and then apply your post-install patches? Or need I to create a pached USB installer in any case? I want to prepare a bootable disk for a inexperienced person that leaves far from me, so she can boot from external drive (I hope and guess she can do this), open team-viewer so I remotely import her user to external drive and after I verified all works flawless, I will clone the disk to internal drive.

Last edited:

jorgk

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
The instructions in the first message are incomplete, a passage is missing. You must follow those of 10.14.
Sorry, but in the instructions/WiKiPost in the first post for 10.14 I don't see a section on how to deal with "Security And OS Standalone Updates" - that is present for 10.13.
So: What is missing in the instructions for 10.13 ?

jorgk

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
This refers to a MacBook 5,1 (Unibody, late-2008) and applying Security Update 2020-001.

I tried to modify the update package "SecUpd2020-001HighSierra.pkg" as downloaded from Apple (using the apple.com / Support / Downloads section on their websites) and as described in Post #1 of this thread (post #1) as to section 'Security And OS Standalone Updates'.

Even added this addition, so that the volume check is not performed:
function VolumeCheck(prefix) {
to
function VolumeCheck(prefix) {return true;

but - that did not help, I always get a result (see picture), complaining that some readout for JavaScript resulted in an error :-(

Screen shot Macbook5,1 SecUpd2020-001 HS.png

Thus, in the end I booted with DosDudes patcher, applied the patches fresh (just to be safe; also did select "Force Cache Rebuild"), then restarted and went with the update as available from the AppStore.

That did go through the first restart round, the second restart never progressed (while it does on supported machines), I thus shutdown the MacBook5,1 forcefully after some time, and the next restart showed it is on version 10.13.6 (17G11023).

Hoping everything is fine now ...

Last edited:

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
Sorry, but in the instructions/WiKiPost in the first post for 10.14 I don't see a section on how to deal with "Security And OS Standalone Updates" - that is present for 10.13.
So: What is missing in the instructions for 10.13 ?
Download the update.

Open the update.

Move the update.pkg to Desktop.

Open Terminal.

Enter "pkgutil --expand " now AFTER THE SPACE drag and drop the .pkg from the Desktop into the Terminal window and type after ANOTHER SPACE " ~/Desktop/Expanded" hit Return and wait, this takes a little while.

Quotes are not needed.

Open Expanded folder and then open Distribution file in Text Edit

Scroll down to the line

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {

enter the text return true; so it looks like this

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {return true;

Save changes

If you are trying to install the update to an HFS+ disk then there is another alteration you can make, before flattening and creating the package.

Again in the Distribution file scroll down to

function VolumeCheck(prefix) {

again enter return true; after the bracket, so it looks like this,

function VolumeCheck(prefix) {return true;

Save changes

Go back to Terminal enter "pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Expanded ~/Desktop/Modified.pkg"

Using the .pkg extension is crucial.

Quotes are not needed.

One thing to note is if your Mac like mine has different OS's on it on other drives this method will tell you that all drives are able to install the update, DO NOT INSTALL ON ANY DISK/ PARTITION, ONLY INSTALL TO A DISK/ PARTITION THAT HAS 10.13.X ON IT. Select your disk wisely, and double check."

Reactions: honeycombz

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
If I wanted to replace the original video card of my old MacPro 3.1 (ATI Radeon HD 2600) with a Metal compatible video card which card could I buy?. I don't have big graphics needs and I don't use games, I would like an inexpensive card to be installed quickly and that works immediately. Obviously it must be compatible with Mojave, now I use High Sierra.

Kevin Paner

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
GTX 780 3gb I have works beautifully, mine isn't flashed for Mac so no efi boot screen, but if you can find a flashed one you'd be golden!

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.