Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
@dosdude1: At first thanks a lot for the perfect work. Secondarily one suggestion: It could be an idea to inform in your "changelog", which files need to be replaced in case a new version of the patcher appears. Would that be possible and/or useful; what do you think?
That's why the Patch Updater exists. If a new change has been made to one of the patched files you have on your machine, an update will appear in the Patch Updater.
[doublepost=1506868154][/doublepost]
I booted into recovery but the option to convert to apfs is greyed out. I have 3rd party SSD installed. Is there a way to still convert to APFS without doing a complete format of the drive?
You need to unmount the drive before you can convert it.

virk

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Aachen
That's why the Patch Updater exists. If a new change has been made to one of the patched files you have on your machine, an update will appear in the Patch Updater.
Okay, hopefully understood :) That is for to keep the High Sierra installation up to date. But how to keep the install stick itself up to date?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Okay, hopefully understood :) That is for to keep the High Sierra installation up to date. But how to keep the install stick itself up to date?
You don't need to worry about that... The Patch Updater will get everything up to date once you install the OS.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Has anyone got a Polaris GPU(RX480) working in High Sierra? Supposedly it's supported natively now, however it doesn't boot even with an EFI helper GPU like it did previous in Sierra.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
MacBook5,1 High Sierra 10.13

Garbled video again, but this time in a YouTube video. It looks just like the garbling that occurs with the iPhone-X video.

This is garbled in both Safari 11 and Firefox 56. It works perfectly fine in Chrome, although it probably is VP9 in Chrome. In Safari it would be h.264, and I assume it is also h.264 for Firefox.

MacbookPro 5,5 works fine here. Also I just visited iPhone X website and it worked too! LOL The issue occurred before too but now it may just have fixed itself o_O

Captura de Tela 2017-10-01 às 13.03.16.png Captura de Tela 2017-10-01 às 13.05.30.png

Edit:
I just closed safari and opened again and the issue appeared. Weird bug.

Last edited:

techinfant

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
I was able to use @dosdude1 instructions to in-place upgrade my MBP 5,5 and MM 3,1 to High Sierra. However, both machines got a bit sluggish and unstable (beachballing, crashing) so I reset the NVRAM and PRAM (among other suggested tweaks) and rebooted the machines, and noticed a dialog box on both machines with the following SIP warning:

"SIP is enabled on this system. Running with SIP enabled could cause issues, such as USB not working. To rectify this, please boot into your system's Recovery Partition or your Sierra Installer USB drive, open Terminal, and run the command "csrutil disable"."

Given that the installs went through smoothly and both machines do not seem to have lost any functionality, can I ignore this warning for now? Or is it recommended to keep SIP disabled on these unsupported machines? Any other suggestions to speed up High Sierra on these machines? Thanks in advance!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I just did that but now it doesnt let me boot from the internal drive. What do I do?
You need to apply the APFS patch in the post-install tool.
[doublepost=1506876663][/doublepost]
I was able to use @dosdude1 instructions to in-place upgrade my MBP 5,5 and MM 3,1 to High Sierra. However, both machines got a bit sluggish and unstable (beachballing, crashing) so I reset the NVRAM and PRAM (among other suggested tweaks) and rebooted the machines, and noticed a dialog box on both machines with the following SIP warning:

"SIP is enabled on this system. Running with SIP enabled could cause issues, such as USB not working. To rectify this, please boot into your system's Recovery Partition or your Sierra Installer USB drive, open Terminal, and run the command "csrutil disable"."

Given that the installs went through smoothly and both machines do not seem to have lost any functionality, can I ignore this warning for now? Or is it recommended to keep SIP disabled on these unsupported machines? Any other suggestions to speed up High Sierra on these machines? Thanks in advance!
No, SIP NEEDS to remain disabled at ALL times while running Sierra/High Sierra on an unsupported machine. You need to do what the alert tells you and disable it using Terminal after booting off the installer USB drive.

andrewkingme

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
+1 for issues on Mac Pro 3,1 running an HD 5770 GPU.

- Red flashing on login screens, Preview, etc.
- After waking from sleep, black screen with cursor only then kernel panic.

In addition to the HD 5770, I also have an NVIDIA GTX 1060 installed. (Used primarily for dual boot Windows gaming. I keep the HD 5770 for boot/FileVault compatibility.) After installing the NVIDIA Web Drivers on macOS, wake from sleep results in a slightly different crash. Instead of a black screen and kernel panic, the desktop shows without transparency and freezes. Forced restart required.

I considered rolling back to Sierra using Time Machine. However, I receive the following error when attempting to restore. “You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model.” Looks like a roll-back will require a clean install.

I started reading the posts back around #1630, at the start of the 5770 discussion but I’m still unclear on workarounds. Can anyone here provide insight on whether it is possible to fix these HD 5770 issues by patch or whether they will require a fix by Apple in High Sierra? Would you recommend rolling back to Sierra and accept that High Sierra sleep/wake just isn’t going to work on the Mac Pro 3,1?

Finally, thanks to dosdude1! It’s incredible that one person is doing what a company as big as Apple cannot. Keep up the great work- donation coming your way!

/AK

Reactions: dosdude1

eft.t

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
Herakleion, Crete, Greece
@dosdude1 First of all thanks for your time and efforts! Also kudos to all those creating the kexts and misc utilities.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, Mid 2009 (5,3). Sierra was OK with this machine, no issues at all.
I used your tool to get to High Sierra and I tried installing it to en external USB stick first.
I followed the steps as usual, but when it tries to boot it freezes on the entries for "AppleBusPowerControllerUSB".
Then I get a grey screen with superimposed characters and the "forbidden" symbol.
Tried re-running the patch, creating another USB stick 3 times, tried a few more options in the Post-Install-Tool, but nothing changed.

Does it help you understand?

Attachments

• IMG_0986b.jpg
    IMG_0986b.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0988b.jpg
    IMG_0988b.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 136

harlleysathler

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Hey guys!

First of all, thank you very much, @dosdude1 ! You arduous work keeps my old Mac running and serving me for some more time!

Just installed on my Early 2009 Mac mini (mini 3,1). Did a clean APFS install and have a small issue with Time Machine restoring my backup, so I need to create a temp user and rerun the Migration Assistant again. Everything fine now! Only issue is I can't install nVidia Web Driver. Everytime I try to install it, during files copy, I get an error message that says "The NVIDIA Web Driver Installer has encountered a problem." Is there anyone else having this problem?

craigtheguru

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
That is the problem.
Here is the solution:

If you have a 5770, 5870, or 6870 GPU, you'll need to boot from a USB booter/installer built with dosdude1's 2.3.2 patch and run the post install again with the GPU patch selected. Or switch your GPU to an original Apple efi card or a compatible nVidia card like the GTX 680 2 GB.

I've re-patched my High Sierra installer using 2.3.3 and re-ran the Post Install tool. (The GPU option was already checked in the dialog when selecting a Mac Pro 3,1 system.) That said, after rebooting I still have the red window and sleep issues with my 5770 card. Did I miss something?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I've re-patched my High Sierra installer using 2.3.3 and re-ran the Post Install tool. (The GPU option was already checked in the dialog when selecting a Mac Pro 3,1 system.) That said, after rebooting I still have the red window and sleep issues with my 5770 card. Did I miss something?
Without applying that patch, the system will not boot at all with that card installed. So, your options are to use that patch with your Radeon HD 5770 (or other Radeon card newer than 4xxx series) and deal with the current (minor) issues, or switch to an nVidia GPU and have no issues at all under High Sierra.

techinfant

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2016
No, SIP NEEDS to remain disabled at ALL times while running Sierra/High Sierra on an unsupported machine. You need to do what the alert tells you and disable it using Terminal after booting off the installer USB drive.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll proceed to go ahead and disable SIP. What are the implications of leaving SIP enabled? Just trying to understand (in brief) what the setting is all about. Thanks!

craigtheguru

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
Without applying that patch, the system will not boot at all with that card installed. So, your options are to use that patch with your Radeon HD 5770 (or other Radeon card newer than 4xxx series) and deal with the current issues, or switch to an nVidia GPU and have no issues at all under High Sierra.

Ah gotcha! Thanks dosdude for all the work.

I'm toughing it out until the iMac Pro ships, so we'll see if i breakdown and buy a new card (likely) or just wait.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Thanks for the heads up, I'll proceed to go ahead and disable SIP. What are the implications of leaving SIP enabled? Just trying to understand (in brief) what the setting is all about. Thanks!
SIP prevents the modification of system files, and prevents the loading of unsigned kexts. Since most of the patches needed to run High Sierra on unsupported machines rely on modified kexts, leaving SIP enabled will cause them to get excluded from loading next time the system rebuilds its prelinkedkernel.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
No. I tried both alone and with helper HD2600XT too.
It fails because Apple changed the driver code to require a version of SSE that the 3,1 CPUs don't support.
Only solution now (unless someone comes up with emulator) is to sell it and get an nVidia card or get a supported 5,1 MP.

Has anyone got a Polaris GPU(RX480) working in High Sierra? Supposedly it's supported natively now, however it doesn't boot even with an EFI helper GPU like it did previous in Sierra.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
MacbookPro 5,5 works fine here. Also I just visited iPhone X website and it worked too! LOL The issue occurred before too but now it may just have fixed itself o_O

View attachment 722668 View attachment 722669

Edit:
I just closed safari and opened again and the issue appeared. Weird bug.
On a lark I just installed the nVidia GPU web drivers for my MacBookPro5,5 with nVidia GeForce 9400M. Firstly it threw an error during the install, but the install completed. However, when I used the nVidia driver, the OS interface got all choppy. Worked properly, but laggy. And the garbled video issue didn't get fixed.

So, the web drivers won't solve this issue either. (Not that I expected them to, but hey, I thought I'd give it a shot.)

Reactions: extrachrispy

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I’m reinstalling now. I think the partition was messed up on my system from Sierra. I didn’t reformat. Installer says way less time than the previous install. Thank goodness for dosdude1s patcher :)

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
On a lark I just installed the nVidia GPU web drivers for my MacBookPro5,5 with nVidia GeForce 9400M. Firstly it threw an error during the install, but the install completed. However, when I used the nVidia driver, the OS interface got all choppy. Worked properly, but laggy. And the garbled video issue didn't get fixed.

So, the web drivers won't solve this issue either. (Not that I expected them to, but hey, I thought I'd give it a shot.)

I just found something. If you play any youtube video the garbled issue disappear until you restart safari. I reported this to Apple as a bug, hope they take a look at it.

Reactions: extrachrispy

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
@roysterdoyster ... you are right. Safari does not work. i was using Safari TP, so when i read your post, i uninstalled it, and tried vanilla Safari and it failed to work
Puzzling. This morning, AppStore started working, and so did Safari... Yet, I changed nothing.

shuyama

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
Nice to meet you.
I will report it.

Mac Pro Early 2008 + 14 GB RAM.
Installed on macOS High Sierra Patcher 2.3.3.
Launched in APFS Patch.

I was running with Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB at Sierra using macOS Sierra Patcher.
nVidia Web Driver could also be installed without problems, there was not any problem.

In this time, we have High Sierra in macOS High Sierra Patcher 2.3.3 and applied APFS Patch to run in APFS environment.
Of course, since High Sierra (as well as Sierra) does not have a Geforce GTX 10x0 driver, we also install the standard Radeon 2600 XT 256 MB on PCIe.

As of now, we do not have any problems with the operation of High Sierra, and APFS Patch works well.

However, if you try to install nVidia Web Driver ver. 378.10.10.10.15.114, the following dialog will appear.

The NVIDIA Web Driver Installer has encountered a problem.

The Installer has encountered an issue with your system and the NVIDIA Web Driver may not install properly. Click Continue to proceed or click Cancel to abort the installation process.

I chose Continue here. Then, the Driver has entered and restarted.

After rebooting, the screen of the Geforce side monitor appears.
Looking at the System Profiler, Geforce is recognized because Driver is included.
However, there are the following problems.

1) The alpha channel is not recognized, and the menu bar, Dock, UI are not transparent. The colors of the icons are also strange.
2) There is no acceleration. All work is very slow.

Of course, Radeon XT 2600 256 MB is displayed properly.

So, I will report on events in my environment.
Please let me know if you know why this is going to happen.

Finally, thanks for making informative patch.

chrome-dome

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Bicester, Oxfordshire, UK
As one of the users having issues with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 card - i.e. red artefacts during certain screen activity, and the major issue with waking from sleep, I ordered a refurbished nVidia GTX 285 from eBay which arrived this morning.

Having removed the 5770 and installed the nVidia GTX 285, it would seem that High Sierra is working smoothly so far. There are no red flashes on the switch to full screen or when scrolling PDFs in preview; I visited the iPhone X website, and that all displayed correctly; videos play correctly in preview, Quicktime and within Safari. The Mac wakes from sleep with no issues so far.
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 04.11.00.png

Reactions: rosuna

Machist

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Finland
As one of the users having issues with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 card - i.e. red artefacts during certain screen activity, and the major issue with waking from sleep, I ordered a refurbished nVidia GTX 285 from eBay which arrived this morning.

Having removed the 5770 and installed the nVidia GTX 285, it would seem that High Sierra is working smoothly so far. There are no red flashes on the switch to full screen or when scrolling PDFs in preview; I visited the iPhone X website, and that all displayed correctly; videos play correctly in preview, Quicktime and within Safari. The Mac wakes from sleep with no issues so far.
View attachment 722868

Nice!
But there is another issue.. If I Change my Ati to Nvidia there is no Mini DisplayPort.
I have 24" Cinema.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.