macOS High Sierra 10.13 Works/Does Not Work Thread

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

phastphil

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
Mac Mail issue
[doublepost=1533839353][/doublepost]Running 10.13.6 , 3,1 MacPro, all appears ok, but in MacMail the fist character is not capitalized. I do have the settings enabled in System Pref /keyboard/text. Anyone else with this issue? Any suggestions ? This does work normally on my MacBook running 10.13.6

Last edited:

stevenaaus

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
That's because Apple is not nearly as good as they once were at adequately testing their OS before release. That Apple broke MS Office a few years back is an example of Apple's dereliction. When you release something that breaks, arguably, the most prevalent productivity application, then you're not doing something right. I place blame on the yearly cycle. An OS is not a piece of art, but rather, a mere tool that ought maintain reasonable compatibility with its application base.
High Sierra just crawls on all the 2011 macbook pros i've tried. It also runs fairly slow on the 2012 pros.
Apple are really trying my patience. macOS has so many bugs too. Might be the beginning of the end for me with Macs. Shame to throw away a great desktop operating system just for the sake of streamlining it with a phone OS, for kris-sakes.
[doublepost=1535020299][/doublepost]I have a few friends who have big internet bills because of broken Mail app too.
This was very disconcerting for them, and took ages to track down.

Coloratura

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
United States
I'm running High Sierra on my early 2009 iMac, having just upgraded from El Capitan, and it has received a significant boost in performance. I was worried about not getting security updates once Mojave was released in September (I'm assuming it will be released then), and so I was going to try and upgrade to Sierra, and someone (I forget who) said I should jump straight to High Sierra instead, because it works better with old hardware than Sierra, and I figured why not?

So I backed everything up, and used a patcher. I know it's not officially supported, so I did this at my own risk, but I can say on my end that everything seems to be working without a hitch. The 8 GB of RAM is likely what's helping that work so well.

There's no way in Hades I'm going to attempt the jump to Mojave, that would really be pushing it, but now I know I can safely keep using my iMac, and receive those security updates, as I save up for a much newer machine in the next year or so.

Now I'm not saying anyone with an early 2009 iMac should do the upgrade, just that for me it seems to have worked out quite well. So far, no bugs. Wireless works, printers work, USB ports work, everything loads just fine. In fact, one of the games I was playing before feels a little smoother this time around, though not by much considering the dismal (by comparison to modern) graphics card I have. Still, I'm rather pleased with how this has turned out. It makes me look forward to when I can have the better hardware to really support the later operating systems.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Hi, my MacPro 2011 won’t restart or shut down.
I have High Sierra and can’t install the latest update. My Mac Pro won’t accept upgrade to Mojave because my GPU is not supported so I have to stick to High Sierra.
I have boot in safe mode, reset the PRAM and unplugged from the wall. Can’t get it to work. Everyday, I need to hold the power button to turn it off.

Any recommendations?
I’m considering reinstalling the OS.
I’m certain it’s an OS issue. I was able to shut down using an USB recover drive stick but when I use the Computer OS, it won’t work.
Thanks

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
wow we had the same issue here in our military base, un plug it for 2 mins to drain any blah power then re plug it into the wall and try again

astunkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
I'm using a 2012 15" MacBook Pro. Today, I upgraded to 10.13.6. During the reboot of the machine, the computer had a beep, but it did finish the install and restart. All seemed to be fine, but it now says the battery needs to be serviced.

It did not say this prior to the update.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I'm using a 2012 15" MacBook Pro. Today, I upgraded to 10.13.6. During the reboot of the machine, the computer had a beep, but it did finish the install and restart. All seemed to be fine, but it now says the battery needs to be serviced.

It did not say this prior to the update.
I was told that the new software is more critical about battery quality.
If it loses charge too quickly, have it replaced. A 2012 MacBook should have a way longer lifetime than 6 years.
;JOOP!

pijnxiii

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2020
Things 3 returns an error message quite often when quitting the application.
The Interface is very slow and sluggish animations on a rMBP 13 inch 2015 - feels like there is not graphically accelerated.
Safari - opens slow
CleanMyMac 3 - not working - probably waiting for Beta to come out
Boxy works
YakYak - works
DayOne2 - works
iMessage Cloud Synch does not work yet - maybe it will if I install ios11 on my phone which I don't plan to
Fantastical 2 - works

TunnelBlick - not working
Photos - crashes once in a while

Mac is running hotter then previously.

I got extra 12 GB after the upgrade - not really sure how?...

what to do with photos app

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.