macOS looses information about display configuration

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by mciancia, Jun 9, 2018.

1. mciancia macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have macbook pro 15" 2017 with 2 external displays - one 4k (dell u2718q, scaled to 2.5k) and one 2.5k (dell u2715)
    For some reason, sometimes when connecting displays or waking macbook from sleep, it looses setting about scaling, relative position of displays and everything becomes choppy.

Has anyone experienced issue like that?
    4k monitor is connected via OWC thunderbolt 3 dock, while second one is connected directly to macbook

2. SoCalReviews, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

You might want to see if the same thing happens when the 4k monitor is connected directly to the Thunderbolt 3 port on your MBP using a direct TB3 to display adapter. The reason I say this is that I had a problem with USB devices losing connectivity or losing any memory of them having been connected when my Mac Mini would go to sleep. This would happen to an attached USB keyboard, modem, flash drives, etc. when I was using a USB hub. The USB port that the USB hub was attached to went into power saving mode and all devices attached to that hub had to be restarted before the MacOS would recognize them as being connected. This didn't seem to happen when I plugged the same devices directly into my Mac Mini USB ports.

I was able to determine that the power was being cut off to the hub when the Mac went into sleep and power saving mode. This loss of power seemed to change the Mac stored sequencing for the list of devices plugged into the USB hub. I had to switch to from using a non-powered USB hub to a self powered USB hub and adjust some of the power saving settings to finally resolve this issue.

3. mciancia thread starter macrumors newbie

Right now I'm using it without dock and didn't noticed this issue yet.
    Gonna see after some time if this was the problem