Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Hi ! First post - Thank-you!

I have a MacOS Mojave - Ver 10.14.6

Its super slow - most of the application take for ever to open , some crash or won't open - Safari doesn't always connect and would it be better if I reinstall Mac Operating system -

How can I reinstall or rebuild my MacOS Mojave from scratch

Its an old Mac and perhaps it needs a through out cleaning or reinstall -

Any Suggestions -

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: 228.0.0.0.0

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
yeah - I agree with avz - most likely HDD is the reason - upgrade to a SSD for that model will make a big difference and something like a samsung evo 860 would make it much faster

Also how much space is left on the HDD - did it come with 500g HDD? you can get a 500g or even a 1tb for a pretty reasonable price

memory might be worth upgrading to 8g - but the ssd will make a bigger difference

Reactions: BigBoy2018

Furstyferret1959

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
Hi ! First post - Thank-you!

I have a MacOS Mojave - Ver 10.14.6

Its super slow - most of the application take for ever to open , some crash or won't open - Safari doesn't always connect and would it be better if I reinstall Mac Operating system -

How can I reinstall or rebuild my MacOS Mojave from scratch

Its an old Mac and perhaps it needs a through out cleaning or reinstall -

Any Suggestions -

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: 228.0.0.0.0
I have been having a problem over the past few weeks with safari not connecting to my Router .....found it's bit strange as all other devices were connected and computer said it was connected ....well messed about all morning and have managed to solve the problem. If you would like the solution just drop me an email ......fk66nan@aol.com and I will pass on the solution.

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Great!! Good to hear there are some alternatives - A new SSD is ok - I have a 1TB HDD at present time - with 4G of memory - unsure if this Mac can support an upgrade to 8GB - (4GB(2)) - I will need to purchase memory at the same time

Anything else, would I have to re-install OS once I replaced the SSD - how is that done ..

thanks

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Great!! Good to hear there are some alternatives - A new SSD is ok - I have a 1TB HDD at present time - with 4G of memory - unsure if this Mac can support an upgrade to 8GB - (4GB(2)) - I will need to purchase memory at the same time
Your Mac can support up to 16 GB of memory.
Anything else, would I have to re-install OS once I replaced the SSD - how is that done ..
You will have to format the new SSD for Mac before installing the OS. If you want to move over the data, settings, and apps from your old HDD to the new SSD then you will need both drives connected or a backup of the old HDD connected during the SSD setup.

Here is Apples instructions:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If it was me, I would get an external drive (USB3) enclosure, install the new ssd in the external, boot to internet recovery, format the new SSD for macOS, install the macOS to the SSD, migrate the data from the internal HDD to SSD. After OS installation and data migration then boot from the new SSD that is still in the external enclosure. Make sure everything is working ok. Then you can open up your MBP to swap the new SSD for the old HDD and install the new RAM if you have it.

Here is a external drive enclosure that has worked well for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FCLG65U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: mikzn

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
THANK-YOU All ! For your wonderful suggestions and support - Much appreciated - I will put all of your suggestions in use
and in considerations. Once I get all of this printed off - i will start planning on purchasing a new SSD and more memory

Cheers

MM

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You don't have to buy "the fastest" SSD.
Just "shop for price".
I'd suggest Crucial or Sandisk.

As for RAM, you could just replace "the topmost" RAM DIMM (when you have the back off) with an 8gb DIMM.
This will give you 10gb of installed RAM, far more than 4gb, and probably more than you'll need.
There's no point in spending more money for more RAM here.

Go to ifixit.com to see the procedure for opening the MBP and replacing the HDD and RAM.
It's easy.
You'll need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 (latter to take the "bosses" off the side of the old drive and move them over to the new one).

As mentioned above, you ought to pick up a 2.5" USB3 external enclosure as well for the old drive.
BUT... put the SSD into it FIRST.
Now you can format the drive, and set it up BEFORE you actually open up the MBP.
Doing it this way can save you A LOT OF TROUBLE.

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
You don't have to buy "the fastest" SSD.
Just "shop for price".
I'd suggest Crucial or Sandisk.

As for RAM, you could just replace "the topmost" RAM DIMM (when you have the back off) with an 8gb DIMM.
This will give you 10gb of installed RAM, far more than 4gb, and probably more than you'll need.
There's no point in spending more money for more RAM here.

Go to ifixit.com to see the procedure for opening the MBP and replacing the HDD and RAM.
It's easy.
You'll need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 (latter to take the "bosses" off the side of the old drive and move them over to the new one).

As mentioned above, you ought to pick up a 2.5" USB3 external enclosure as well for the old drive.
BUT... put the SSD into it FIRST.
Now you can format the drive, and set it up BEFORE you actually open up the MBP.
Doing it this way can save you A LOT OF TROUBLE.

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Thanks to all members who replied with support -

Thank-you Fishrrman,

Much appreciate your support , to ensure I get the right SSD and Ram

Is there a specific SSD drive I'll be looking for to purchase and Ram for my Macbook - Can I search in Amazon or Ebay
I want to make sure I purchase the right components -

Best regards

Masons

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
HELP!! I formatted the HD (old) then proceeded to reinstall from macOS recovery - follow instructions from apple store support

Startup from macOS recovery - Command -R
Selected Reinstall macOS
chose reinstall MacOS from utilities window
Read & press agree window

The window is stuck at MacOS Mojave - Select the disk where you want to install macOS

There is no options or gave no options to choose your disk to begin th install - its been at the same screen for more than 0 mins now... Help!!

Thank!

Masons

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
I restarted my internet router and rebooted mac and retired the recovery/install -
Finally got to the next screen where to select a disk - the window is blank - no disk showing - I used the utility menu to erase both of my disk 1 an main disk both 500GB =

tried again - still no disk to select or showing

Any suggestions

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
This is suspicious - looks like hardware issue. Would you have Apple store nearby? They should help you for free to install OS on the disk. Possibly identify any hardware issues. Or identify other issues - like if you have properly formatted the disk - you need GUID partition map and HFS+ format for hard drive. But even if incorrectly formatted, installer should offer that it will format the disk for you...
My own action would be to create bootable USB with installer on it, boot from that and see, if I can see/partition/format internal hard drive from there. If all looks OK, I would try to install from there. But that needs second Mac and some experience, which I am not sure you have. If you have second Mac, 8GB or larger USB disk (free, it will be formatted) and time, google Create USB macOS install disk and follow instructions. Then plug in and boot your MBP with opt key pressed and that should offer selection of bootable volumes. Boot on the USB and use DiskUtility to evaluate your disk etc.

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Thanks Honza1 - I managed to successfully install the MAcOS after-all - However, I'm a little confused
When i click on about this Mac - It doesn't show I installed MacOS Mojave - It only shows Macbook Pro

I tried to go to the apple Store and searched for MacOs Mojave , tried to Get or download - I can't download it - It says the update requires MacOS version 10.8 or later ??

Did I not installed it properly ? I followed th exact steps illustrated in the Apple Support how to reinstall MacOS for Mojave -

Any suggestions - This is now becoming way out of my league...

Is there another possible way to install what I previous had as a tacos Mojave -

Help!!

MM

Last edited:

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
View attachment 853240
Thanks Honza1 - I managed to successfully install the MAcOS after-all - However, I'm a little confused
When i click on about this Mac - It doesn't show I installed MacOS Mojave - It only shows Macbook Pro

I tried to go to the apple Store and searched for MacOs Mojave , tried to Get or download - I can't download it - It says the update requires MacOS version 10.8 or later ??

Did I not installed it properly ? I followed th exact steps illustrated in the Apple Support how to reinstall MacOS for Mojave -

Is there another possible way to install what I previous had as a tacos Mojave -

Help!!

MM

i would recommend buy new SSD and create a bootable USB disk, i have the same old 2012 MBP 9.2 like yours, if you like to push it with RAID0 (Samsung Evo 860) it runs very well with Mojave.

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US

Help!!

MM
When I said Apple store, I meant physical store. Apple store Genius Bar provides very good support - typically free - for any Apple device and especially for those with less experience, they are amazing resource. On line "Apple store" you meant is really "App store" for macOS.
Can you attach your "About this Mac" screen? I wonder if you run Internet recovery and installed original OSX version - Internet recovery will reinstall ORIGINAL version of OSX which machine came with - and that would be 10.7.3 based on records in everymac.com database. Your troubles seem to indicate that. If that is the case, this needs to be first upgraded to higher version (10.8, 10.9, or may be higher) and only then you will be able to upgrade to current version.
My original suggestion was to install from USB installer - which would work with Mojave, but with 10.7.3 you are not allowed to even download Mojave from App store as upgrade from that old version is not supported.
So, go to Apple App store and find/download any higher version of OSX system which they will let you download for free and install that. 10.8, 10.9, whatever higher they let you instal1l as upgrade. After that upgrade you should be allowed to upgrade directly to Mojave.
And again, you will have much more powerful device if you swap the HD for SSD - and 500Gb SSD suitable for your system may cost today $70-90 on Amazon.

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Hi!,

I searched the Apple store download section , was unable to find any higher version of OSX system past 10.7 -
They talk abut 10.5 or 10.7 - Is there direct link i can download this higher version of OSX system -

The USB installer is also adoption I'd like to ry so i always have a copy of the Bootable disk - How do I do that?

If I can find a way to install a higher version of OSX so I can be able to download and install Mojave form apple store that would be great.

Thanks in advance

MM

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Hi!,

I searched the Apple store download section , was unable to find any higher version of OSX system past 10.7 -
They talk abut 10.5 or 10.7 - Is there direct link i can download this higher version of OSX system -

The USB installer is also adoption I'd like to ry so i always have a copy of the Bootable disk - How do I do that?

If I can find a way to install a higher version of OSX so I can be able to download and install Mojave form apple store that would be great.

Thanks in advance

MM
As Mr. Google would tell you in microseconds if you just asked "Download OSX 10.8" - direct downloads:

https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/mountain-lion

This page has also Mavericks 10.9.5 or ELCapitan 10.11.6 here, I would try if I can get ElCap installed first and if yes, then Mojave should install after that.

Suggestion: learn about Mr.Google. Very useful friend ;-)

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Thanks Mr. Honza1 - Mr. Google was indeed very friendly and helpful -

However, I tried all of the above - when selecting any - th download button or icon is blank
perhaps maybe I should install an older version or just go with creating a USB bootable disk

Thanks Again!!

Last edited:

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hi!,

Thanks in advance
MM
The minimum OS for installing Mojave is Mountain Lion (10.8) or newer.

Purchase Mountain Lion from Apple:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...a7dbf78fe3cfb8aebd8493ddc9dc6e6fb6a21e80dfe70

10.9 - 10.10 is no longer available from Apple unless you previously "purchased" (downloaded) them.

10.11 (See Step 4):
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206886

10.12 (See Step 4):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

10.13 (See Step 4):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

10.14 (See Step 4):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
CostalOR,

I have now Software Mac OS Lion 10.7 installed - I tried to download for free from Apple Store the Mojave later version -
It won't allow me to download - If I purchase the OS software - would it differ cause at first it Would sa I have an older version so I can download the Mojave version 10.8 or latest -

How can I upgrade my OS to get to download Mojave 10.8 - I don't mind paying for the codes but I'm not sure if its going to work the my Macos Lion 10.7.5

How would it work out - Will I need to downgrade OS to be able to upgrade - ?

Any suggestions - Thanks in advance

MM

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
CostalOR,

I have now Software Mac OS Lion 10.7 installed - I tried to download for free from Apple Store the Mojave later version -
It won't allow me to download - If I purchase the OS software - would it differ cause at first it Would sa I have an older version so I can download the Mojave version 10.8 or latest -

How can I upgrade my OS to get to download Mojave 10.8 - I don't mind paying for the codes but I'm not sure if its going to work the my Macos Lion 10.7.5

How would it work out - Will I need to downgrade OS to be able to upgrade - ?

Any suggestions - Thanks in advance

MM
Of course Mojave would not download, it is because you have 10.7 installed. Re-read the first sentence on my Post #20. In post #17 you asked for links to to download a OS higher than 10.7, my post #20 was answering that request.

You do not need to buy & install 10.8 just to install Mojave unless you want to. You could download & install 10.11 or 10.12, for free to meet the requirements to download & install Mojave.

I included the information about 10.13. & 10.14 so you could review the requirements and in case you need the download links. Maybe that was a mistake and it was too confusing.

BTW: You asked about creating a bootable USB installer in Post #17. I did not answer that question since the link to "Apple Instructions" in my Post #6 had a link in the bottom "How to create a bootable installer for macOS".

Mysons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
CostalOR,

Thanks for all your support
And direction including pin pointed all my miss reading
Which you suggested and made it clear

I have read through and highlighted the important stuff i need to follow through

Again , sorry for being so ignorant and unaware. You made great points and suggestions

Best Regards

God Bless

MM

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.