Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
There have been a total of 16 versions of Mac operating systems with the number 10. As a longtime user that has used them all, these are my rankings.

Best to worst...

01. High Sierra (10.13) - I find it to be the most stable and refined of them all. It's still my main OS.
02. Snow Leopard (10.6) - Super efficient and stable.
03. El Capitan (10.11) - Very stable and efficient. A very no BS OS.
04. Tiger (10.4) - A very groundbreaking OS. It was so good that it was 2.5 years before Leopard came out.
05. Leopard (10.5) - Really upped the security of the OS overall with sandboxing, and many other additions.
06. Yosemite (10.10) - The first to break into the current aesthetic.
07. Sierra (10.12) - A decent OS, but was limited from it's full potential. Hence High Sierra.
08. Mojave (10.14) - A good OS overall, but they ruined light mode.
09. Catalina (10.15) - See above.
10. Panther (10.3) - The early stages of what became Tiger
11. Jaguar (10.2) - The first truly good version of the OS, and the last with that awful UNIX "Finder".
12. Maveriks (10.9) - The last of the eyesore that was the 10.7 to 10.9 era.
13. Mountain Lion (10.8) Far more efficient than Lion, but that nasty GUI!
14. Lion (10.7) - Worst Mac OS in the last 10 years!
15. Puma (10.1) - A slightly refined version of a VERY bad OS.
16. Cheetah (10.0) Worst Mac operating system in history! It was almost like some OS-themed game. Anyone else remember the bomb app? HAHA

Share your thoughts and rankings!

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeboss

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
There have been a total of 16 versions of Mac operating systems with the number 10. As a longtime user that has used them all, these are my rankings.

Best to worst...

01. High Sierra (10.13) - I find it to be the most stable and refined of them all. It's still my main OS.
02. Snow Leopard (10.6) - Super efficient and stable.
03. El Capitan (10.11) - Very stable and efficient. A very no BS OS.
04. Tiger (10.4) - A very groundbreaking OS. It was so good that it was 2.5 years before Leopard came out.
05. Leopard (10.5) - Really upped the security of the OS overall with sandboxing, and many other additions.
06. Yosemite (10.10) - The first to break into the newer aesthetic.
07. Sierra (10.12) - A decent OS, but was limited from it's full potential. Hence High Sierra.
08. Mojave (10.14) - A good OS overall, but they ruined light mode.
09. Catalina (10.15) - See above.
10. Panther (10.3) - The early stages of what became Tiger
11. Jaguar (10.2) - The first truly good version of the OS, and the last with that awful UNIX "Finder".
12. Maveriks (10.9) - The last of the eyesore that was the 10.7 to 10.9 era.
13. Mountain Lion (10.8) Far more efficient than Lion, but that nasty GUI!
14. Lion (10.7) - Worst Mac OS in the last 10 years!
15. Puma (10.1) - A slightly refined version of a VERY bad OS.
16. Cheetah (10.0) Worst Mac operating system in history! It was almost like some OS-themed game. Anyone else remember the bomb app? HAHA

Share your thoughts and rankings!

i loved Mavericks.
i also loved iOS 7 as well. thin, baby, thin. a design masterpiece, proven by the great number of masses who railed against it. who clamored to make it bolder, thicker, less transparent, less milky, more boring.
and, by the way, as a witness to macOS 10.0 on my Cube, its still hands down Catalina as being the worst macOS of all time.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
My introduction to Mac OS X started with Leopard and my experience is mostly positive with all of them. I would say it is just a matter of matching Mac OS to your hardware to keep things optimized as much as possible.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
My favorite macOS version was El Capitan, because for me it cleaned up the disaster which was Yosemite. I had a bad year with Yosemite, with WiFi issues like crazy.

I also really liked Mavericks, Snow Leopard, Tiger, and Catalina is great for me too.

As someone who works on a few dozen macs a month, I’ve gotten to try them all pretty extensively. High Sierra still has some annoying bugs, such as the trackpad settings disappearing during battery replacement.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
My MacBook Pro came with Yosemite installed on it and I experienced quite a few KP's when carrying out random tasks. I eventually upgraded to Sierra and could not believe the difference; my machine became so much quicker and snappier. I bypassed High Sierra and instead upgraded to Mojave which has been great for me. I have not had any problems or KP's on either Sierra or Mojave. With my MacBook Pro performing as well as it ever has I shall stay on 10.14.6. There is no benefit for me in moving onto Catalina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.