MacOS rebrand to iOS. Who's excited for a next-gen model now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamrawr, Jun 25, 2010.

?

Yay for iOS in macs?

1. Yes I'm excited to see what's next for the Mac.

16 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. It's just simply a rebrand. No real changes will happen

19 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. No, I'm not liking this, but I'll wait and see what happens

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. What is Apple thinking?! Goodbye to macs...

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

For all you notebook lovers, do you think that the iOS will change macs in a more positive direction? Will their choice in hardware change? When do you think this will actually happen? I, for one, say that I'm not sure if I will like it if it's more like the current iOS right now. Unless they are rebranding it to pave the way to an even better OS than the current snow leopard?
    Come to think of it... Maybe they ran out of creative cat names for their software haha :p

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

As long as it's only a name change I couldn't care less, can't see them dumbing down the desktop/notebook range OS to be more like the idevice type, if they can improve on the functionality of the idevices to get close to their computer brethren, then that could be interesting.

Still think touch screens on MacBooks is a pretty pointless idea, think they're better off concentrating on the already brilliant trackpad

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

OS X has not been rebranded. iPhone OS has been rebranded. That's why we still have this lovely Mac OS X page at Apple's website.

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

If it's true - and turns out to be more than just a name rebrand - this MBP could very well be my last Apple computer.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

The name is terrible! I only bought the mbp because the OS name reminded me of the 'X' factor. If they make me upgrade to iOS, I'm ditching my mbp!

8. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Regarding the model/hardware in MacBooks, how will you think they will look like after the unibodies? Any thoughts, opinions, speculation? Although, I'm kind of afraid of Apple using even less powerful, but more efficient hardware. Around 6-9 hours battery time is good enough for me. But the recent installment of steam clashes with the latter prediction... Maybe Apple will introduce a higher-end hardware option when buying a MacBook (most likely pro) while optimizing the iOS at the same time?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

All Macs are unibody and made of aluminum so it's hard to say as there is no product showing the future. They could adopt iPhone 4's design but I wouldn't count on that, phone and laptop are so different.

I doubt we'll see major redesign anytime soon

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Why exactly?:confused:

To think that the next Mac OS will be a souped-up iPhone OS is legit, as we don't have any info.

But rumors are only rumors, and I'm pretty sure this (if it ends up being true) will only be a rebrand.

At least, wait until you see what it looks like.;)

11. Meever macrumors 6502a

iOS only makes sense because all their mobile products start with an "i" (iPad, iPhone, iPod)

It would make no sense for them to iOS their regular operating system for their computers....

12. iamrawr thread starter macrumors 6502

iamrawr

The notebooks may be portable, but they use the same OS as the desktops no? Which is another questionable argument on why it's being rebranded

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I think they need to get rid of the black and make them all aluminum :cool:

14. RT2020 macrumors regular

If they dumbed down OSX to the point of iOS, I would not buy another Apple computer.

Not like it matters anyway...they stopped giving a damn about OSX since 10.5. (2007)

15. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

Why would they want make their naming more confusing? It's hard enuff for non apple people to distinguish the different types of cats and I have heard people say like power mac when they really meant mac pro and same for PowerBooks and MBPs. If the name was the same for both iPhone/iPod touch and macs nobody would know what anybody was talking about.