macports fresh install or migration under MacOS Mojave

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Th3odor3, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Th3odor3 macrumors member

how can i get macports to install into Mojave when there is no release for it yet using a older version?

2. oatman13 macrumors regular

MacPorts is really old; you should use Homebrew as it already supports Mojave.

3. Th3odor3 thread starter macrumors member

alright ill install homebrew thanks bud!

4. BookEmDanno macrumors 6502

BookEmDanno

Homebrew is my favorite tool (choosing between Fink, MacPorts and Homebrew). I've been using it since Sierra and it is compatible on my Mojave OS devices.

Check out these formulae/packages available.
    https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/

Have Fun!

5. Th3odor3 thread starter macrumors member

yeah that is a massive list I can't go through it till I need something then I'll check there for sure.

6. deef macrumors newbie

Is there a script to automatically install the equivalent packages from an existing macports installation in homebrew?

7. slb macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what that means; MacPorts came out in 2002 and Homebrew in 2006. MacPorts is still updated and will support Mojave like it supports every new release.

Personally, I've never liked the Homebrew project's anti-MacPorts attitude or the way it writes to /usr/local by default without asking for a password.

8. space1nvaders macrumors regular

9. DuncanGarp macrumors regular

DuncanGarp

Can Homebrew and Macports co-exist?
    I would like to try both.

Regards.

10. inarush macrumors member

inarush

11. neliason macrumors 6502

I use MacPorts and really like it. That said, why does it take a couple of days for them to build a compatible version? If I can right now download the source and compile it why does it take a while for the maintainers to produce the installer? Also, I think for one upgrade it was several weeks before they made the installer available.

I don’t mean to sound unappreciative of the work the maintainers do. I just don’t get why it takes so long.

12. inarush macrumors member

inarush

It's not only the Macports binary itself. Every macOS update comes with a ton of changes, including changes in Xcode and the command line tools, and the maintainers need to be sure all the ports will also work on this new environment.

13. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

It tends to happen at each release but they usually provide an update within a couple of days.

14. neliason macrumors 6502

That is reasonable. But do they not start that work prior to the release when betas are available?

15. inarush macrumors member

inarush

I guess they do. However, it is only when the macOS is officially released that they can work under "real-world" (i.e. not Beta) conditions. Also, don't forgot these folks are usually volunteers. ;)

Anyway, based on their past release agenda I would expect a Mojave version within the next few days.

16. neliason macrumors 6502

I'm not and hope I don't give that impression. I very much appreciate the work they do, especially because I don't want to have to use HomeBrew. I might would help out the effort if I knew what I was doing.

17. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

18. inarush macrumors member

inarush

I have compiled MacPorts 2.5.3 from source on Mojave and it's been running without any issues for almost three days now. It's pretty easy to do if you follow this guide: https://www.ghostwheel.com/2018/09/22/installing-macports-on-macos-10-14-mojave.

Installing ports under this scenario do take a little longer than usual, since packages are compiled from source, but so far I haven't encountered any errors on the ports I use.

19. neliason macrumors 6502

Thanks for the update. I've thought about doing that but will hold out longer for the official package. I made sure to update my ports before I upgraded to Mojave.

I'm curious though, I thought MacPorts compiled all packages from source? I thought that was why you needed Xcode installed. Is that not correct?

20. inarush macrumors member

inarush

Some are downloaded as binaries, though I'm not sure what is the criteria to decide this. You can prevent some ports to be built from source by uncommenting the line 'buildfromsource ifneeded' in the '/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf' file.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    *EDIT*: by the way, don't forget to follow the migration guide (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration) before upgrading.

21. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

22. inarush macrumors member

inarush

Nice catch, thanks for sharing! ;)