Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leifern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Hi,

I've been looking to upgrade to 4870-4890 (PC) since i first found this forum and realized how easy it was. However, there are none available i Norway.. At all.. And there won't be. I've contacted all the stores i could find.

What are my alternatives? It doesn't need to be ultra highend. I just want to run Settlers 7 and Portal. I have a 7300 GT which is so rubbish Portal won't even run.

Does anyone have any advice? I guess i should mention that i am a student, and have little money, so the Applecards are out of the question.
(I'm sorry if this has been covered. I did a search but it all seemed to point people in the direction of Radeon 4xxx)

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Nvidia Gtx 285?

will not work in his computer.

Leif, I suggest you look at auction sites on the web. many PC folk are selling off their 4800 series cards to switch to newer cards. you should have no problem finding used 4800 series cards in norway.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Nvidia Gtx 285?

First of all, the nVidia GTX 285 for Mac doesn't work in first gen Mac Pro. Secondly, OP stated he doesn't want "Apple" cards and is running on low budget.

@OP: As it sounds like you are willing to flash it, would it be possible to order it from e.g. UK? We still have some here in Finland too.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
First of all, the nVidia GTX 285 for Mac doesn't work in first gen Mac Pro. Secondly, OP stated he doesn't want "Apple" cards and is running on low budget.

@OP: As it sounds like you are willing to flash it, would it be possible to order it from e.g. UK? We still have some here in Finland too.

My mistake, just skimmed the post.

Not sure how much a 3870 goes for these days or if you'll be able to find one.

Edit: Found one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-ATI-3870-512Meg-HD3870-Mac-Pro-Video-Card-QUIETEST-/330435329257

Also found a 4870:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Pro-Radeon-HD4870-512MB-PCI-E-Video-Card-HD-4870-/180510203951

caseys

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Couldn't you use an escrow service to get someone to buy you one in the UK or US?

Or buy off ebay stores in UK / US?

Leifern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks for the fast replies everyone.
I've been looking at ebay, but I'm a bit put of by the thought of the nowegian costumsservice finding out. There are a few available i norway, but most of them are on the "not working"-list.

Does anyone know if this will work? : http://www.hardware.no/bruktmarked/annonse/15232

But, i take it from your replies that there really are no other decent alternatives? If so, i guess I'll be looking towards Ebay.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm also looking to upgrade [soon] to a 4870 or 4890.

The 4890 is more attractive to me because of the 1GB DDR.

Cindori - I'm wondering, will this version of the card work in my MP 1,1?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I know that you are precautios when deciding a card to order. I mean, wrong card and you waste a lot of money, right? So you ask me just to be sure.

But being precautios could channel someway else then asking me. Say, maybe searching.

I don't say I don't like to help. I support people 24/7. But the info gathered from almost a year back is still accessible and it feels like a shame not to use it.

btw, there are 4870 models with 1GB ram.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks, Cindori, and my apologies for any offense.

I have been reading through the info and thought asking may be a way to ensure the card I get will work. So many cards, so many models and specs. I figured, when in doubt, ask the experts.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Thanks, Cindori, and my apologies for any offense.

I have been reading through the info and thought asking may be a way to ensure the card I get will work. So many cards, so many models and specs. I figured, when in doubt, ask the experts.

The experts ave already been asked this question many, MANY times.

Why not benefit from past knowledge rather than ask for a fresh copy of the same answer?

I have posted at least 20 times that I think a 1 Gig 4870 is better choice for most people compared to a 4890. Easier flash, more likely to work with Zeus. And most don't need any special tweeks or further OS fiddling down the road, as 4890 always will.

Do SOME RESEARCH

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
As I said, I have been doing some research.

It gets difficult to look through hundreds of pages to find quick answers - and the rush in my asking at times is because I'm in the middle of a project and my computer (both the OSX and Windows sides) keeps shutting down. It's when I'm using graphic heavy applications, and I think it's time to upgrade...

So I'm wanting a new card very quickly and am panicked for answers.

Sorry guys... I'll try to get more reading in before ordering the card today.

GiantDolphin

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
As I said, I have

So I'm wanting a new card very quickly and am panicked for answers.

If time is more important than money, then find a preflashed card on ebay. I did this, and now have a 1Gb 4870 in My MP 1,1 and its wonderful. You pay a little more, but you get a card you know will work (or you can return it) and you don't have to flash it yourself, and deal with problems if you mess up the flashing process.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Interesting... I didn't even think to look on eBay.

Glad to hear the 4870 works well in your 1,1... good to know, and after reading The Rominator's support for the 4870, I went ahead and ordered this.

It should arrive Tuesday and I'll get to flashing.

ETA: Leifern - sorry for the slight hijack of your thread. Have you gotten things worked out with a new card?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

Glad to hear the 4870 works well in your 1,1... good to know, and after reading The Rominator's support for the 4870, I went ahead and ordered this.

ETA: Leifern - sorry for the slight hijack of your thread. Have you gotten things worked out with a new card?

Good call, that card works well, only issue is a trivial "Power Cable Not connected" warning.

I just flashed that exact same card for a member named "Panavision" like a week ago.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Good call, that card works well, only issue is a trivial "Power Cable Not connected" warning.

I just flashed that exact same card for a member named "Panavision" like a week ago.
Great to know, thanks!

I'm looking around on the forums now for the ROM (though I think I'll have to wait for the card to arrive so I know what revision it is), and am hoping that Fry's Electronics will have the proper cable converters I need to use the free Molex connector that (I think) is in my computer.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
look at begining of the gi-normous 4870 thread for info on cables. For a long term solution you are far better off getting the RIGHT cables that plug into logic board. Buy them for $10-20 each or make them for around $3-4.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Awesome. Thanks, T.R.

I definitely want the best long term solution so I ordered the cables from the ATI website.

Received the "item has shipped" email for the card... I'm excited.

Leifern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010

No prob. ;)

I actually went for a PowerColor PCS+ 4870 (fingers crossed). The 4890-seller never responded to my e-mails. Now I'm looking for cables to hook the 4870 up to the DVD-fluff, a monitor with DVI-thingy and i guess I'm ready to roll.. :p

Glad to see your things are in order. :)

Edit: I just realized the PCS+ is factoryOC.. I haven't felt this dumb since i paid 400 EUR for an Amiga PPC-card i never received. :p

I guess I'm pretty much screwed with this card then.. :(

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
No prob. ;)

I actually went for a PowerColor PCS+ 4870 (fingers crossed). The 4890-seller never responded to my e-mails. Now I'm looking for cables to hook the 4870 up to the DVD-fluff, a monitor with DVI-thingy and i guess I'm ready to roll.. :p

Glad to see your things are in order. :)

just to prepare you, that card has some screws underneath that makes the card hard to put in the macpro, but it will work with some fiddling

Leifern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
just to prepare you, that card has some screws underneath that makes the card hard to put in the macpro, but it will work with some fiddling

I guess not then.. :)

Thanks Cindori.. And thanks to this whole community! Really good bunch of people, it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.