MacPro 12 Core vs MacOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Anto38x, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Anto38x, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

Anto38x macrumors regular

Anto38x

To all those Mac Experts out there.... I'm desperately looking for your help and advice.

I am currently running Sierra on my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010). On paper, it's compatible with the new High Sierra update but I'm nervous about the upgrade in relation to one thing... AFPS.

I have a 520GB SSH drive plus QTY 3 x 3TB internal hard drives, all with HFS+. I also have a Drobo S (2nd Gen) using Firewire and that has QTY 5 x 3TB hard drives all HFS+ also... will they be all safe from AFPS conversion and if so... will I still be able to move files from system to system.

I also use an old MacPro Dual Core running 10.7.5 with QTY 4 x 2TB Hard drives all HFS+ also.

I also have a MacBook Pro Touch Bar (2017), so I know that will be fine.... as it's all modern tech.... but that's not my main workflow machine... my MacPro 12 Core is what drives my whole business.

Bottom line... will I still be able to copy and move files between the new AFPS and HFS+ systems without any issues... copy errors or file format issues..?

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

2. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

APFS is very internal to your 5,1. When other Mac accessing your 5,1 via network, your 5,1 will do the APFS read / write process, not the other Mac. So, doesn't really matter if that's running APFS or HFS+, as long as you are using SMB, all files are accessible for the older Mac.

Anyway, you may plug in an extra HDD / SSD just for HS installation. If end up you don't like that, pull that out, and you can revert to your previous OS in no time. That's the beauty of the cMP.

3. Anto38x, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Anto38x thread starter macrumors regular

Anto38x

Hi h9826790 and thank you so much for your comments and contribution.

I really like your idea... I suppose I have never swapped out the main startup drive... just the other removable three bay drives... so is it easy to swap out the main startup drive also... as I do have a spare, blank 3TB HDD drive... but how would I install the new macOS on that blank drive... as I only have ever really updated the OS from the previous version..?

Any additional comments would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Anthony

4. h9826790, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

1) shut down your Mac
    2) pull the power cable
    3) open side panel
    4) remove one of the empty HDD tray
    5) install your blank 3TB HDD onto the tray
    6) put the tray back into the bay
    7) plug the power cable
    8) start up the machine
    9) initialise / format the 3TB HDD as required
    10) go to AppStore download HS installer and run it
    11) upgrade the firmware as per instruction
    12) install HS and choose the 3TB HDD as destination

After finish, your system will boot to HS (expect very slow due to running from a HDD). If you want boot back to Sierra, choose it from system preference. Or holding option during boot to choose your start up partition.

5. Anto38x thread starter macrumors regular

Anto38x

WOW!!!!!! I get ya now... great idea.... so while I test out the new OS I woudl really have two bootable drives available to me... the original SSD with Sierra and the new HDD with High Sierra... BADDA BING!!!