Macpro 2.0 to Octo

newportmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
62
0
Instead of putting off the purchase any longer waiting for the inevitable to happen, would it be an idea to just buy a refurbished 2.0 right now and upgrade to an octo when the prices drop? Is it anything more than dropping in 2 new chips? Is the mother board the same as the stock 2.66? Thoughts appreciated.
 

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
1,617
3
Upgradin the CPU's is hard as it is, who knows what the process will be in the next iteration of upgrades.

I highly would discourage this plan.
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
Two quad Harpertowns will probably cost you over $1400. You may be able to get Clovertown at the point, but I imagine they would still be $1000. Your 2.0s will not be worth very much at that point either.

I wouldn't do it. Not to mention warranty implications. But of course to each their own.
 

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
271
0
Interesting Idea.

I first recommend reading http://www.o0o.it/pro

E5320 Quad Core's cost $255 Shipped Buy It Now on Ebay.

8-Cores @ 2.33GHZ for $510 doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me.

Say goodbye to your Warranty!

Tracer.
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
That guy used way too much thermal paste...

Anyhow, my pricing was based on buying price equivalent CPUs, of course you can get the cheaper ones.

My problem is warranty. Plus, there would seemingly be other things coming with an update. While my hardware tweaking jones says yes, the other part of me says no.
 

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
271
0
Agreed, Too much Thermal Paste Suneo.

But, if you can pick up a Used not Refurb Mac Pro 2.0GHZ without AppleCare for a steal, I'd say go for it.

However, I doubt that many of these systems exist.

Good Luck.

Tracer
 

newportmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
62
0
This was quick.. After reading the above article on steps necessary to upgrade.. it isnt a project for me.. Thanks.. I'll be waiting for Steve to update the Mac Pro before forking over my $2500 bucks....
 

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
4,931
54
England
Yes you can pick them up seperatly, you're looking at around $1600 at the moment for a pair of 2.66GHz quad Xeons.

2Ghz duals could fetch $400-$500 and 2.66GHz you could probably recoup $600-$800. You may as well buy a used mac pro as you are going to lose the warranty anyway, say around $2,000 for a quad 2.66GHz if you are lucky, meaning $3,000 or less for an 8 core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro.
Quoting myself from lastnight.
 

newportmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2007
62
0
$1956.. thats one thing I can never figure out.. Why do people spend so much on eBay for a used one when for the same money they can get a new one off Amazon or a refurbished off Apple with a warranty.. crazy if you ask me..
 

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
5,212
0
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I'm With Tracer & Suneohair That It's Not Worth The Risk

Agreed, Too much Thermal Paste Suneo.

But, if you can pick up a Used not Refurb Mac Pro 2.0GHZ without AppleCare for a steal, I'd say go for it.

However, I doubt that many of these systems exist.
I got an exceptional deal - can't use Tracer's word but it applies - for a previously owned only since June 12th - not really used much at all - Quad 2.66 just arriving tomorrow from Miami. But I still wouldn't do it because the next SS motherboard with Harpertowns will be a lot more than just going to 8 cores and be a lot more powerful for today's 4 core prices.

Now if you can find one of those 2GHz Mac Pros for like $1k then I would say go for it as well. But kiss off the warranty - you're on your own. Anything goes wrong and you will pay a fortune for out of warranty fixings.

Umbongo said:
Yes you can pick them up seperatly, you're looking at around $1600 at the moment for a pair of 2.66GHz quad Xeons.

2Ghz duals could fetch $400-$500 and 2.66GHz you could probably recoup $600-$800. You may as well buy a used mac pro as you are going to lose the warranty anyway, say around $2,000 for a quad 2.66GHz if you are lucky, meaning $3,000 or less for an 8 core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro.
Vs. $3,399 for a 3GHz 8 core refurb plus $200 for the AppleCare warranty for the next 3 years.
 

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
271
0
At least wait for Leopard to see if it is able to help with 8-Cores.

Wow, paying ~$1,900 for a STOCK 2.0GHZ Mac Pro, is very, very silly.

If anyone's in the market, I know of a seller with:

2.66GHZ Dual's
2GB Ram (4x512)
Add'l 500GB hard drive (And Stock 250)

For $2,000 and shipping.

Sorry to switch the OP's topic, but PM if your interested (and no it's not mine).

Tracer