MacPro iTunes Second hdd full, I want bigger 2nd HDD, will I have to reload itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bestthereis27, May 15, 2009.

1. bestthereis27 macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I have a MacPro that i use to rip all the dvds I own. I then stream these movies to my Apple TV in the living room. So I have 2 hard drives in 2 out of the 4 HDD bays in the mac pro. Drive 1 is my OSX drive with Apps. Drive 2 is a 1TB drive that just stores all the movies. In itunes all the movies are pointed to that 2nd HDD.

I saw a great deal on a 2TB HDD and wanted to use that instead. So I wanted to put that 2TB drive in Bay 3 and copy all the movies from 1TB HDD in Bay 2 to 2TB HDD in Bay 3. Then I will swap the 1TB drive with the 2TB drive and only use that 2TB drive for movies. So now I should have a OSX boot HDD along with a 2TB HDD with movies, and a spare 1TB HDD (used for Time machine later)

The question I want to know is, when I put the 2TB drive in with the exact same movies into Bay 2 will itunes still recognize it? Or will I need point every movie again to the new harddrive?

Hope this makes sense, thanks for the help.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think you'll need to direct itunes library to that disc after you've copied everything over.

3. ilovebananas macrumors member

Why not just keep the two drives as they are and add the 2TB as an extra one. itunes can manage multiple sources (drives) fine. In itunes preferences, just change the default library location to the new drive (once installed). The old drive/library will still work and you will have an extra 2TB of storage.

4. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

I could do that...the question is still the same. Lets say I fill up all the drive bays and i'm out of space. I will still want to replace the 1TB drive with bigger drive. When I copy all the movies onto the new drive. Will I have to repoint it to iTunes? Will iTunes get confused because it is a new bigger drive, even though its the same movies that were on there before?

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You could let iTunes do the moving for you then you wouldn't have to relocate all your stuff individually. If you don't mind having your entire iTunes library relocated iTunes can do it for you easily.

Here is the guide from Apple…
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

6. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah thats a good idea at first but I will have 2-3 maybe 4 hard drives full of content for Itunes....