MacPro optical drive

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
hey there
just ordered a 8 core and i am now looking at putting a blu-ray into it (just because i can!) and just wanted to know if i needed to order anything in particular?

cheers

20eman

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
I put an LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray / HD DVD / LightScribe combo in mine. Anything that uses SATA should work.

But I hope you realize that you won't be able to watch Blu-Ray movies in OS X, since Steve Jobs hates Blu-Ray. I still use it to watch them in Windows though. (The software options for playing Blu-Rays in Windows are bloated and buggy and not free, sadly.)

Edit: oh crap I mixed up the model names. It's actually a GGW-H20L.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
California, United States
I put an LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray / HD DVD / LightScribe combo in mine. Anything that uses SATA should work.

But I hope you realize that you won't be able to watch Blu-Ray movies in OS X, since Steve Jobs hates Blu-Ray. I still use it to watch them in Windows though. (The software options for playing Blu-Rays in Windows are bloated and buggy and not free, sadly.)
Hopefully this improves over time then. What software are you currently using? PowerDVD?

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008

yeah i was planning in doing it in windows but now you say the software is pants, hmmmm sucks

20eman

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Icaras said:
Hopefully this improves over time then. What software are you currently using? PowerDVD?
I ended up having to buy full versions of both PowerDVD and TotalMedia Theater because neither of them works 100% all of the time. They also require constant updating which isn't very user friendly. The drive came with a copy of PowerDVD, but it was an old version and did NOT work and would NOT update. Gives me the impression that the Blu-Ray Disc Association wants to discourage people from watching movies on BD-ROM drives instead of stand-alone players. I say fsck 'em. My computer is my home theater.

Still, TMT is less bloated, so I'd start with that one and see if it works for your discs.

Edit: The third option is WinDVD. I haven't tried this one but I have not heard good things.

On the shareware/freeware front, the combination of AnyDVD HD and Media Player Classic Home Cinema makes it possible to watch video streams off of commercial Blu-Rays, but unsurprisingly the menus and interactive features don't work at all. Maybe someday a better solution will exist. AnyDVD isn't really free though, and you need to update it constantly because new discs have new DRM.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
You can watch Blu-ray movies from the discs by opening them with Make MKV, starting its streaming server, and opening the stream in a stream-aware app, such as VLC. It's a bit clunky but after a few times it only takes a minute or two to get the movie started.

Desmo1098

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
What is the largest capacity Blu-Ray disc you can burn to with the LG drive?

Can you burn Blu-Ray in OS X, if so do you need something special? What about Carbon Copy Cloner, does it support Blu-Ray?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
What is the largest capacity Blu-Ray disc you can burn to with the LG drive?
Which LG drive? If it's single layer, then 25 GB. Dual layer is 50 GB.

Can you burn Blu-Ray in OS X, if so do you need something special? What about Carbon Copy Cloner, does it support Blu-Ray?
You can burn with Toast but CCC won't write to a Blu-ray drive as far as I know.

20eman

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
The GGW-H20L supposedly burns dual-layer (50 GB) Blu-Rays. I haven't tried to do it though.

Cave Man said:
You can watch Blu-ray movies from the discs by opening them with Make MKV, starting its streaming server, and opening the stream in a stream-aware app, such as VLC. It's a bit clunky but after a few times it only takes a minute or two to get the movie started.
Oh that's cool. I didn't know this was possible! But I just tested it and it indeed works.

(how-to)

This is probably the only way to watch Blu-Ray media under OS X in real time. It works better than MPC-HC too. Of course, the menus don't work, and seeking isn't possible. Only fast-forward/reverse.