Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Orignally, it was supposed to be here by the end of the year I think. However, I have not heard much about recently.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
No one knows....... not even those lazy ar$ed workers at Macromedia....... :eek: :rolleyes:

I wish they'd get a move on though!!! :( ;)

HalimC

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2002
Pennsylvania
Macromedia really needs to get it's act in gear with Director. They are showing a blatant lack of attention to their customer-base by not even speaking about the future of Director.

I help administer two computer labs at my college and Director is the only reason we still have OS 9 on our systems. It would make our systems run so much smoother if we could dump Director and OS 9. Are there any third-party alternatives to Director? Someone at Macslash suggested Revolution, but I was wondering if there were any more similar alternatives.

Macromedia's OS X support has been mediocre at best. Anyone that has to use Dreamweaver MX extensively knows what I mean. It runs like a slug on a 550mhz Ti with a gig of ram. There are also many bugs in quirks in Dreamweaver MX, but why haven't we seen any updates from Macromedia? Adobe has released updates to many of its OS X applications including Photoshop, GoLive, and Illustrator.

If anyone has any more advice on how to move away from this deadbeat company's software, please share.

-h

dolphinsecho

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2002
Minnesota
Macromedia Director for Mac OS X?

Who knows anything about when Macromedia is expected to release the new version of Director that they promise will be compatible with Mac OS X?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
there's really almost no reason to use Director anymore. Except MPEG support. Flash now does everything Director does; now including Video support. And in ways, the video support in Flash is stronger than it is in Director.

I think, if they do release Director MX, it will be the last version. Flash is becoming so powerful; and it's CROSS PLATFORM COMPATIBLE!!

mkocurek

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2002
Germany
If you can achieve what the client needs purely in flash then fine - why not?

Like someone already said: "Director is a whole different league. it performs scripting tasks hundreds of times faster than flash, and can do pretty much anything you can imagine to a computer given the right xtras (from copying files from a cd direct onto the hard drive to printing documents that aren't displayed on screen all the way through to controlling robots and dvd players etc.) If you're moving into cdrom creation, it's definitely worth investing in Director."

Out of interest, I do all my cds using both flash and Director together, because they can happily talk to each other and have distinctly separate roles

Flash is a great tool to create nice and funky stuff for the WEB, with MX even a bit more! Director is more a powerful development tool for creating Offline Multimedia applications. If you want to compare Director to an app so compare it with Revolution or Real Basic. For instance: can you explain me how I develop an offline application with an offline database but NO ODBC connection with flash?

However, did I misunderstood it? In that "thinksecret" article that they say we have to wait for another 8 month? At this moment I don’t care about new features. The only thing I need is Director for OS X (Director 8.5.1.X). If they want to charge me in the next 6 month for an upgrade to Direcor MX with all the new features - fine I going to pay. But for now I need that X release, even if it’s a Beta...

Cheers
Michael

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
The way I read it was that we will get Director MX around the start of next year. Maybe at the January Expo.

mkocurek

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2002
Germany
Oh, thanks that's fine. Due to the letter release Date (Oct. 2002) I thought that we still have to wait another 8 Month. Thanks again for clarifying this for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.