Macron not so subtly slams Trump's "Nationalism" comments

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Macron slammed Trump in his speech and it was poignant. “Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism,” Macron said. “By saying, ‘Our interests first, who cares about the others,’ we erase what a nation holds dearest, what gives it life, what gives it grace and what is essential: its moral values.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/to-mark-end-of-world-war-i-frances-macron-denounces-nationalism-as-a-betrayal-of-patriotism/2018/11/11/aab65aa4-e1ec-11e8-ba30-a7ded04d8fac_story.html?utm_term=.1331f1c12ad1

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
The only thing is, what Macron is condemning isn’t really what Trump is saying.

Trump calling himself a “nationalist” is dog-whistle for white nationalist.

And, if that’s not what he meant - because I know he will have defenders here - then he should be smart enough to say what he means and not throw terms like that about.

He’s either dumb and racist, or dumb and probably a racist.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well Macron is also addressing the attitudes Trump dog-whistles to, even if the French leader's focus is on practicalities of European nations sticking together.

Xenophobia has switched up politics in a number of European states now. Anti-immigration, anti-brown, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitism, anti-other, all parading under a banner of alleged patriotism that's really just nationalist and exclusionary. It's problematic for the NATO allies and indeed for the EU.

The last thing Europe needs is a rerun of little countries bristling at each other over perceived insults or failures to respect each other's sovereignty. And the EU umbrella itself takes a regular beating from some of the European pols of minor parties whose ranks have been growing. Add to that Russia with big eyes for its former western satellite countries.

No surprise, possibly: except for maybe a pause on this solemn occasion, Macron is talking to at least a domestic constituency that finds him lacking, even if the disdain appears to be or is expressed mostly as pocket book issues with a side of racism. Macron's pop rating at home is worse than Trump's in the USA.

Trump should be supporting Macron and should have been more supportive of Merkel as well. But, he's Trump. Snoozing through the making of history in which he will not shine.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Of course Trump’s base believes an insult from the French President means Trump is doing/saying the right things. They dislike Europe and absolutely detest the French in particular. Except for Marie Le Pen. The few Trump supporters who actually pay enough attention to worldwide current events to know who Le Pen is like her very much. Trump has said favorable things about her in the past. They share the same xenophobic obsession over immigration.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Been to France many times. The French are more nationalistic than any country I've ever been. And they still hate Americans, too.
I used to study in Paris. Still been back plenty of times since. France is the top shelf example of a country who prides itself on being its country, and if you are even considering trying to be a citizen there, you better fall in line with that opinion too.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Macron is totally in Trump’s head. Trump can’t even fake it and pretend he’s not bothered. The bromance is over.
Trump is an total embarrassment. I truly hope the world leaders understand our situation and that Trump does not truly represent our country long term and that the damage he is doing is dismissed when our next leader is elected.

Reactions: PrincePoppycock

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
He is so out of his depth on the world stage. As i see it his latest mis-step on attacking Macon for his desire to create a European army and Trump statement that he should focus on funding NATA instead shows Trump total lack of understanding of Nato. He seem to love creating controversy by his tweets, just before meeting anyone on the world state. He did it with Canada and now with France. How to win friends and influence people.
There is no Pot that individual countries contribute into. The requirement on individual country spending requirement for NATA is that each member must spend a certain percentage of their GDP on their own arm forces. Trump is correct in that not all member states meet this requirement but fail to understand that if Macon plan is successful then each European country would then have to spend more on their military and hence either meet or be much closer to meeting their Nato commitments.
[doublepost=1542129495][/doublepost]
Been to France many times. The French are more nationalistic than any country I've ever been. And they still hate Americans, too.
I rather think you are confusing Patriotism with Nationalism.