Macron Wins French Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 7, 2017.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the resurgence of the far right.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I hope so.
    A bit late for some of us… :(

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Don't worry, there's enough stupid and crazy in the US to go around, too :(.

Although, I do wonder with the current wave of activism whether or not the conservatives could carry an election again.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

They will. Conservatism is the world's fourth most resilient problem, after cockroaches, terrorism and STDs.

Nice to see Macron win, though.

5. joy.757 macrumors regular

I am enjoying the meltdown in a lot of the alt-right places.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I know, right? Personal and fiscal responsibility is a real bitch. :rolleyes:

7. Scepticalscribe, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Delighted to see 1) M. Macron win, - and win so handsomely - and, 2) Madame Le Pen defeated. This is a most impressive result; well done France.

However, I am not thrilled to see that she managed to secure around a third of the vote - that is a little bit much for comfort or peace of mind and suggests either a comfort with racist xenophobia, and pure fascism, or a degree of alienated antagonism to mainstream politics that is rather unsettling.

And - also not thrilled that some on the far left (yes, Mr Mélenchon - this purist and perfectionist mindset of the far left runs the risk of becoming mindless) could not recognise that the threat to values of openness, tolerance, human rights - as represented by Madame Le Pen and her party - needed to be taken on and fought, while those who opposed the candidate of the far right deserve to be supported even if the candidate of the centre - M. Macron - is less than perfect from their perspective.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

Now let's see if Trump will congratulate Macron as quickly as he did Erdogan after establishing a near dictatorship in Turkey.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

So Europe stay intact..

The question now is what do the Germans do in the fall.

10. MLVC macrumors 6502

MLVC

Merkel or Schulz. Nothing weird going on in Germany, thank God.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Under the sane, sober and sensible leadership of Dr Merkel, Germany has become a respected, stable, powerful and prosperous democratic state at the heart of Europe, where values of tolerance and moderation are deemed central to the core sense of identity of the German state.

Besides, I do not think that a preference for political chaos is a part of the political DNA of modern Germany. The lessons of both history and geography have seen to that.

So, quite candidly, this is not a country where I would see the far right emerge to present the sort of existential challenge to the status quo that they have successfully managed to do in other parts of the western world.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Thankful that other countries do not seem to be as stupid as the USA. :D

13. zin macrumors 6502

French liberals are seemingly very similar to their American counterparts. Their chosen candidate is an international financier with a terrible government record and a plan to open up the borders.

This time we get to see how those policies turn out.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You really worked on finding all the adjectives that I would not attach to Mrs. Merkel and Germany :)

In any case, to be on topic, congratulations to Mr. Macron. As always after an election - any election, and after any result - I truly hope that France will prosper under his Presidency, and that he will bring good results for the world. Today, I congratulate him with all my heart.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just shows that 64 % of the 28 % that voted have common sense.

;)

16. Scepticalscribe, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Let us not confuse Germany of the past (as we know, - Godwin notwithstanding - they have had their mad affair with the politics and perspective of the insanity of far right fanaticism and it destroyed them and almost destroyed most of Europe, too) with the Germany of the present.

I would have used - and did so when I visited the German Embassy to personally sign the Book of Condolences after his death - similar adjectives to describe Helmut Schmidt, whom I greatly respected.

My sister-in-law, who is German, and who has voted either Left or Green all of her life, has confided that she will possibly - actually, probably - vote for Dr Merkel this autumn. In her shoes - and I have voted left all my life - I reassured her that I would probably do the exact same thing myself.

17. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't necessarily agree with her politics but Merkel has made a decent fist of being the leader of the free world.

Re the French Presidential election.Choice between a Banker and a Facist,not much of a choice is it.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What does that have to do with the nationalism and xenophobia of the far right?

20. Rigby macrumors 601

Voter turnout was about 65%. Low for France, but pretty high compared to US presidential elections. :p

21. Zenithal Suspended

Madame Le Pen while strong-willed and clearly shows a love for her country is still the same weak-willed, spineless ninny I came to know of at the beginning of her career. Descended from a line of trollops, by blood or ideaology, who openly accepted any invading force, far right ideology, including in the bedroom.

It isn't wrong to be conservative. So as long as you're not stupid and not extreme. Sadly, actual conservatives are overshadowed by twits masquerading as human beings.

22. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

You set the bar pretty high, to be honest... hard to beat. Sad.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My bad. I was watching when it was at 28 % and thought it would be that.

Same thing though basically.

64 % of the 65 % who voted.

I have never understood why people don't vote.

24. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I knew he would win, though I didn't know it would be such a landslide. Unfortunately it seems like Provence (the area of France my family is from) is still a Le Pen stronghold, but the country made the right decision.