MacRumors Fantasy Football League 2009/10

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jaffa Cake, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Blimey – that Ronaldo is a silly sausage, isn't he? Granted, his move to Real Madrid is certainly a glamourous one and it certainly won't leave him poor, but what he failed to realise is that playing in Spain makes him ineligible to be selected in the MacRumors Fantasy League! I'm sure he'll go crawling back to Old Trafford once he realises.

MacRumorsLeague_Logo.jpg

That's right - we're back for our third season, and everyone will be looking to prise the gleaming trophy from last year's champions Scouseland FC. The MFL is played using the official Barclays Premier League game, you can read up on the rules and register on their site here. Please do pay close attention to the rules, as there are a couple of additional ones from last season.

This year though, things are slightly different in so far as there are two competitions you can take part in. You can join in with either or both, it's entirely your choice – although if you do enter both then you do so with the same team.

First up is the traditional MacRumors Fantasy League. You pick your players, your players earn (or lose) you points depending on their real-life performances. The Manager with the most points at the end of the season lifts the trophy. Nice and simple.

The second competition we're running is the new MacRumors Fantasy Cup. Those who played last year will remember that – as well as the various private leagues you could join – you were also put into a 'head-to-head' league with random folk. This year, you can actually set up your own head-to-head leagues with your chums.

It works like this – each week you're randomly picked against another MacRumormonger, and your two teams go head-to-head, as it were – essentially, you're trying to outscore your opponent that week. Whichever team scores the most fantasy points wins, and gets three league points – the loser gets no league points and if it's a draw you get one each. This happens every week – until Gameweek 36 (currently scheduled for 24th April 2010), when the knockout phase begins! The top eight teams in the MacRumors Fantasy Cup are drawn against each other in a knock out competition which takes place over the next three Gameweeks. The last team standing is declared the winner!

I thought it might be nice to try out this end of season knockout phase – for one thing, it helps make it a bit different from the traditional MacRumors League, and the fact that eight players are still in it at the death will keep it interesting until the end – even if you're a long way off the top of the league you still have a chance to sneak into the knockout phase and lift the Cup!

How do I sign up?
    Simply visit the Official Premier League Fantasy Football Site and register – it's totally free to do so. Then, just drop me a PM and I'll send you back the codes you need to join the MacRumours Leagues – if you could tell me your team name in the PM that would be useful too! I'm planning on posting a few updates as the League progresses, and by posting usernames rather than real names we can protect folk's privacy a bit.

Why PM? Why not just post the codes here?
    The reason why I'm asking you to PM me rather than just post it here is that I'm wanting to keep it a mini-league for actual MacRumors members as far as possible, not those folk who trawl forums looking for league codes to join. There were a couple who joined up last year who I'm not totally convinced were actually MacRumors members. No names mentioned, mind.

If I pick a team now, what happens if I change my mind and want a different player or two?
    At this point, you're free to pick your team and change players as many times as you like without penalty before the August 15th deadline, so don't fret about not being able to change your side to take advantage of real-life transfers or pre-season injuries.

Ooo. Is there a prize?
    Er, no. Just bragging rights but don't get too smug or owt. It's just a bit of fun. :)

So – dust off your sheepskin coats and get signed up! :cool:

2. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Thanks ref. :eek:

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I didn't realize how many points the Fulham defense racked up last season. Judging by the relatively cheap prices of them they are not expecting a repeat.

4. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I am not sure if I would join the fantasy league, but I sure did have a heck of fun playing PES 2008 on my PSP. I was so addicted to that game for a loooong time.
    :D

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Jaffa, I just wanted to point out a small mistake you made in the title - you obviously meant a Fantasy Soccer League.

::stirs pot vigorously::

:p:p

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Real Soccer 2009 for the iPhone is my particular weakness...

7. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Try X2 Football 2009, you will become weaker. :D

8. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Right, that's one hour and fifty three minutes, everyone - one hour and fifty three minutes. Check your tickets and see if you've got that time down. :p

9. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

In!

I mean I'm in the game! I will be competing with you other fellows here on Macforums, that is as long as it is within the forum rules.

Reason for editing: So I don't get another "frivolous post" warning...

10. pjlander macrumors member

pjlander

Pm??

How do I do this? I have a team and I would like to join your league.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I believe newbies have to wait awhile to get PM privileges

12. pjlander macrumors member

pjlander

What is a PM??

How do I PM? What does PM stand for?

13. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A PM is a Private Message, a system used on the forum to convey messages of high importance - such as fantasy football league codes - privately between members. In the past some unscrupulous types have used it for spamming purposes, as a result it's been disabled for new members until they've made a certain number of posts.

But fret not - I'll email you the codes you need to join the League. :)

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

So, it turns out that as well as fantasy football, the premierleague website has another game, called I Know The Score. Essentially it is a game where you have to predict the results of Premier League games.

If anyone is interested I have created a private league for Macrumors so PM me if you'd like the code to join.

15. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Don't forget – the Premier League season kicks off this Saturday lunchtime, so if you don't want to miss out on valuable points for the MacRumors Fantasy Premier League game or swiftaw's Prediction League, drop us a PM for the codes you need to sign up.

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You'll be happy to know that your league logo is now the background on my iPhone. Color me ready for the season!

17. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm quite touched. :D

18. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Just thought I'd take this chance to say 'woohoo!' for taking the lead after GW1, before the points are added after tonights games, and I find myself slipping down the table... :)

19. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd normally frown on such behaviour and issue an immediate points deduction as punishment, but seeing as how I'm now joint top I'll instead just say 'woohoo!' myself. :D

Anyway, if you're anything like me you're probably wondering what was going through our collective heads when we selected our teams – who were the most popular players, which teams were the richest pickings found from, that sort of thing. Er, what do you mean it hadn't even crossed your mind? :confused:

Well, here's the first in an irregular series – Jaffa's Spurious Stats™ – which in this instance takes a look at our selections for the opening Gameweek of the season...

Player-Selections.png

One of the key things we see (and perhaps one of the most surprising) is that the club we've harvested most for players isn't one of the 'big four', but rather little old Fulham. It would seem that given their good defensive record last season coupled with relatively cheap players, quite a few of us have opted to include Cottagers in our teams this time around. Indeed, goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and defender Brede Hangeland proved to be the most popular players in their positions, being chosen by six and seven out of 13 managers respectively.

For what it's worth, the most picked midfielder and striker are names one would expect to be more popular. Chelsea's Frank Lampard and Liverpool's Fernando Torres led the way with six and five picks out of 13 respectively.

Lampard also featured as our most popular choice of captain, being picked by four managers for the opening week – a decision that may have been influenced as much by what seemed to be a soft opening match against Hull City as for his past goalscoring record.

Shamefully, we can see from the figures that the majority of managers have neglected to choose the maximum possible number of Hull City players – an appalling oversight which I'm sure will be corrected over the next few weeks. ;)

Finally, the team who had the highest number of individual players selected were defending Premier League Champions Manchester United – perhaps not surprising given their traditional strength in depth. All in all, we selected 13 different players from their ranks – van der Sar, Foster, Ferdinand, Brown, Evra, Carrick, Valencia, Anderson, Rooney, Fletcher, Park, Owen and Berbatov.

As you were.

20. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

I see I was the only mug to select a Burnley player, part-time at that. So far the strategy of 'Principle - anyone but Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Manchester City' has been given a pounding. The strategy can work, it's just the implementation of it in this instance - the idiot on the Selection Committee opting for a number of players who keep the bench warm. Do I sell my soul for Fabregas, Lampard and Gerrard?

Is the statistical aberration, Hull, down to good marketing in the Forum? :)

Cheers,
    OW

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hey JC, Me vs You in the Macrumors Cup this weekend.

22. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Possibly. :D

I'd actually put it down to the fact that people maybe think that City players are useful for cheaply filling gaps in their side after they've splashed out on big name players from other clubs. Michael Turner was a popular choice for our managers this time around (with five of the 13 starting managers choosing him), unsurprising given that the centre back was one of the real bargains of last season. At only 4.5 million, a player who picked up 122 points in 2008/09 doesn't look like a bad option to cheaply fill a bench space.

The figures will also have been affected by the fact that I also picked my maximum three City players. My thinking was that – as well as being cheap fringe players as mentioned – I'm not going to have any problems knowing if these players are actually getting games, or if they're doing any good when they do. If I choose a low-cost player from a club such as Stoke City or Wolves then it's a bit more work for me to keep an eye on their progress. ;)

Rest assured that my players have been given extra star jumps to do in training to ensure that they're ready for you. :cool:

23. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Excellent – swiftaw and his Latics were soundly vanquished. It's the star jumps, I tell you. :cool:

A tough away tie at pivo6's Brainerd FC awaits me this weekend, however...

24. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Yes, and my team will be wearing red hoops, just for you. ;)

25. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aye, well – less said about that the better. :eek: :p

Anyway, we've settled nicely into the International Break so it's a good chance to do two things – first, the League table as it stands after our first month of play...

League-Table.jpg

...and secondly, time to announce our first MacRumors Manager of the Month – namely, the player who landed the most points in the previous calendar month. A cursory look at the above table should make it pretty obvious who has scooped the honour for August – it's none other than andrewstephenso who has led his ffmiphone.com side to an impressive opening haul of 235 points in the first four Gameweeks.

MotM_August.jpg

Well done, andrewstephenso. We sent Trevor Brooking around to present your trophy but unfortunately you weren't in. :)