Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the past week MacRumors editors and writers have been sharing gift guides featuring hand-picked items for the holidays. Thus far, we've seen gift guides from Juli, Joe, Mitchel, Marianne, Eric, Matt and one featuring your holiday suggestions. Today, I end our series of gift guides with my own.

This gift guide was written by me, Husain Sumra, and it's filled with items that I either really love and use frequently or items that I'm lusting for in the hope that they make my day easier.

Anker PowerCore+ mini - $9.99

anker1-800x474.jpg
While there are a lot of small external batteries, there are none that I enjoy using more than the Anker PowerCore+ mini. It comes in a small, lipstick-sized package that has plenty of power for my iPhone 6.

It's small enough to slip into your pocket or purse, but it also has a premium metal finish that's oddly fun to hold. It feels sturdy and solid rather than a cheap toy, which makes it a nice companion to the iPhone if you care about the feel of your products.

The best feature of the PowerCore+ mini though is its price, which gives it a huge advantage over similar external batteries on the market.

Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection - $89.99

With Star Wars: The Force Awakens opening on December 18, there's no better time to revisit the complete Star Wars collection. Yes, even the prequels.

While The Digital Movie Collection doesn't include the unedited original trilogy, it is the most convenient way to watch these movies. Not only can you watch them on your Apple TV or Mac, but you can watch them on your iPad Pro or iPhone, too. Furthermore, you can use Disney Movies Anywhere to watch five of the six movies on non-Apple devices. The only exception to this is A New Hope due to rights issues with 20th Century Fox. They also come with brand new behind-the-scenes bonus features giving even the biggest Star Wars fan new insight into the creation of some of the most loved movies of all time.

If you, or someone you know, likes to watch their media on multiple devices there's no better way to watch the incredible highs and lows of the complete Star Wars saga.

Shure MOTIV MV88 Digital Stereo Microphone - $149.00

shure1-e1449885175513.jpg
I use my iPhone for recording interviews and quick podcasts a lot, but my iPhone 6's microphone is fairly basic and tends to produce a more hollow sound. So I've been lusting for a small, easy-to-use mic that I can use on the go and the one I've centered on is the Shure MOTIV MV88.

It's the one mic I've found that seems to fall into the perfect mixture of size, audio quality and price. It also comes with a simple app that allows you to adjust your mic's settings, letting you see exactly how it'll affect the sound. Those settings transfer over to any recordings you do with GarageBand or other third-party audio and video-recording apps.

HBO Now - $14.99/Month

There is no content provider I turn to more often than HBO. Whether it be hit shows like Game of Thrones, smaller dramas like The Leftovers, documentary series like The Jinx or weekly shows like Last Week Tonight, there is no one I trust more to provide me with great content.

With HBO Now, you don't have to subscribe to an expensive cable or satellite subscription either. You can get all of their content on your own terms for $14.99, making cutting the cord easier than ever if you don't care about live sports.

iPad Air Smart Cover - $39.00

smartcover1-800x543.jpg
Whenever I purchase a new device, whether it be an iPhone, iPad or Macbook, I usually opt to not purchase any kind of case or protection. I find the vast majority of cases aesthetically unpleasant compared to the device's natural look, and most cases hamper the feel of the product in my hand.

However, I make an exception for the Smart Cover line by Apple. Not only does it allow my iPad Air's aesthetic and feel to shine, but it's actually got some versatility outside of protecting the display when it's not in use. It can fold itself up, allowing the iPad to stand. Additionally, the soft material on the inside of the cover is a good way to quickly wipe off any dust or fingerprints on the display.

AirPort Extreme - $199.00

airportextreme1-250x373.jpg
The AirPort Extreme isn't the most fully featured or complex router available on the market, but it is the one I'd recommend to the vast majority of people.

I've owned Apple's previous AirPort Extreme in addition to the newest one, and I've never had a problem with either. In fact, the last time I even looked at my AirPort Extreme is when I went through the very simple setup process. The AirPort Extreme has provided a reliable and strong Wi-Fi signal in my home with absolutely no problems, and there's no better option for people who want a no-hassle solution for their networking needs.

The new version of the AirPort Extreme provides 3 times the speed of the previous model and transmits at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time, allowing your device to connect to the fastest connection it can at most times. It can also transmit further than the previous model, as I found I've been able to hold a viable connection from around 30 yards away from my home.

MoviePass - From $30/Month

moviepass-250x367.png
As a huge movie buff, I tend to visit movie theaters a lot to check out the latest new releases. However, watching at least one movie in theaters a week quickly becomes a very expensive hobby, so I was very pleased to subscribe to MoviePass, a subscription service for watching movies in theaters.

The subscription starts at $30 a month, though it can rise to $49 a month depending on your area (you can check how much a subscription costs in your area at MoviePass' website). You're allowed to see a new release, non-3D movie in theaters every 24 hours. Since I see at least a film a week, and sometimes two or three a week during the summer and fall, I've found that MoviePass actually saves me money and has been a good value overall.

To use the service, you must download the MoviePass app and check-in to a movie at the theater of your choice. Once you've checked in, you take your MoviePass card to the box office and request the movie you've checked into. The cashier then slides the card and you receive your movie ticket.

Correction: An earlier version of this gift guide indicated that the Anker PowerCore+ mini could provide two full charges for an iPhone 6. As pointed out by readers, it cannot.

Article Link: MacRumors Gift Guide by Husain: 'Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection', HBO Now and More

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
"... there's no better time to revisit the complete Star Wars collection. Yes, even the prequels. ..."

Yup. It was time to get Lucas' directors' cut of all six. But there was no way I would buy them on any more plastic discs. I already have the DVD box set.

Perfect way to brush up on the legacy material before seeing Star Wars 7.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Did George Lucas totally destroy your childhood?

No, but he did mess up the films that has been part of popular culture for decades. He became a billionaire on the backs of these films, you'd think he'd maybe have assumed he got them right. Every frame he ruined. Spielberg tried the same thing on ET, but thankfully corrected it in 2012.

'Barron landscape in the middle of nowhere' to establish town in the distance is in the boonies—now with rinky-dink mice making cartoon squeals as they scurry across this establishing shot? What the heck was he smoking?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
While there are a lot of small external batteries, there are none that I enjoy using more than the Anker PowerCore+ mini. Not only does it come in a small, lipstick-sized package,
but it has enough power to give my iPhone 6 two full charges.
Bold
I say you are wrong, this charger holds only one cell, Panasonic 18650B cells currently have the highest capacity for a single cell, it's rated at 3400 maH, your iPhone 6 battery is 1810 maH
1810 X 2 > 3400 maH
Even when it is exactly twice the capacity, it still won't charge your battery 2 times due to loses and other factors.

Last edited:

Davejackson

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015

For the past week MacRumors editors and writers have been sharing gift guides featuring hand-picked items for the holidays. Thus far, we've seen gift guides from Juli, Joe, Mitchel, Marianne, Eric, Matt and one featuring your holiday suggestions. Today, I end our series of gift guides with my own.

This gift guide was written by me, Husain Sumra, and it's filled with items that I either really love and use frequently or items that I'm lusting for in the hope that they make my day easier.

Anker PowerCore+ mini - $9.99

anker1-800x474.jpg
While there are a lot of small external batteries, there are none that I enjoy using more than the Anker PowerCore+ mini. Not only does it come in a small, lipstick-sized package, but it has enough power to give my iPhone 6 two full charges.

It's small enough to slip into your pocket or purse, but it also has a premium metal finish that's oddly fun to hold. It feels sturdy and solid rather than a cheap toy, which makes it a nice companion to the iPhone if you care about the feel of your products.

The best feature of the PowerCore+ mini though is its price, which gives it a huge advantage over similar external batteries on the market.

Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection - $89.99

With Star Wars: The Force Awakens opening on December 18, there's no better time to revisit the complete Star Wars collection. Yes, even the prequels.

While The Digital Movie Collection doesn't include the unedited original trilogy, it is the most convenient way to watch these movies. Not only can you watch them on your Apple TV or Mac, but you can watch them on your iPad Pro or iPhone, too. Furthermore, you can use Disney Movies Anywhere to watch five of the six movies on non-Apple devices. The only exception to this is A New Hope due to rights issues with 20th Century Fox. They also come with brand new behind-the-scenes bonus features giving even the biggest Star Wars fan new insight into the creation of some of the most loved movies of all time.

If you, or someone you know, likes to watch their media on multiple devices there's no better way to watch the incredible highs and lows of the complete Star Wars saga.

Shure MOTIV MV88 Digital Stereo Microphone - $149.00

shure1-e1449885175513.jpg
I use my iPhone for recording interviews and quick podcasts a lot, but my iPhone 6's microphone is fairly basic and tends to produce a more hollow sound. So I've been lusting for a small, easy-to-use mic that I can use on the go and the one I've centered on is the Shure MOTIV MV88.

It's the one mic I've found that seems to fall into the perfect mixture of size, audio quality and price. It also comes with a simple app that allows you to adjust your mic's settings, letting you see exactly how it'll affect the sound. Those settings transfer over to any recordings you do with GarageBand or other third-party audio and video-recording apps.

HBO Now - $14.99/Month

There is no content provider I turn to more often than HBO. Whether it be hit shows like Game of Thrones, smaller dramas like The Leftovers, documentary series like The Jinx or weekly shows like Last Week Tonight, there is no one I trust more to provide me with great content.

With HBO Now, you don't have to subscribe to an expensive cable or satellite subscription either. You can get all of their content on your own terms for $14.99, making cutting the cord easier than ever if you don't care about live sports.

iPad Air Smart Cover - $39.00

smartcover1-800x543.jpg
Whenever I purchase a new device, whether it be an iPhone, iPad or Macbook, I usually opt to not purchase any kind of case or protection. I find the vast majority of cases aesthetically unpleasant compared to the device's natural look, and most cases hamper the feel of the product in my hand.

However, I make an exception for the Smart Cover line by Apple. Not only does it allow my iPad Air's aesthetic and feel to shine, but it's actually got some versatility outside of protecting the display when it's not in use. It can fold itself up, allowing the iPad to stand. Additionally, the soft material on the inside of the cover is a good way to quickly wipe off any dust or fingerprints on the display.

AirPort Extreme - $199.00

airportextreme1-250x373.jpg
The AirPort Extreme isn't the most fully featured or complex router available on the market, but it is the one I'd recommend to the vast majority of people.

I've owned Apple's previous AirPort Extreme in addition to the newest one, and I've never had a problem with either. In fact, the last time I even looked at my AirPort Extreme is when I went through the very simple setup process. The AirPort Extreme has provided a reliable and strong Wi-Fi signal in my home with absolutely no problems, and there's no better option for people who want a no-hassle solution for their networking needs.

The new version of the AirPort Extreme provides 3 times the speed of the previous model and transmits at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time, allowing your device to connect to the fastest connection it can at most times. It can also transmit further than the previous model, as I found I've been able to still hold a viable connection from around 30 yards away from my home.

MoviePass - From $30/Month

moviepass-250x367.png
As a huge movie buff, I tend to visit movie theaters a lot to check out the latest new releases. However, watching at least one movie in theaters a week quickly becomes a very expensive hobby, so I was very pleased to subscribe to MoviePass, a subscription service for watching movies in theaters.

The subscription starts at $30 a month, though it can rise to $49 a month depending on your area (you can check how much a subscription costs in your area at MoviePass' website). You're allowed to see a new release, non-3D movie in theaters every 24 hours. Since I see at least a film a week, and sometimes two or three a week during the summer and fall, I've found that MoviePass actually saves me money and has been a good value overall.

To use the service, you must download the MoviePass app and check-in to a movie at the theater of your choice. Once you've checked in, you take your MoviePass card to the box office and request the movie you've checked into. The cashier then slides the card and you receive your movie ticket.

Article Link: MacRumors Gift Guide by Husain: 'Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection', HBO Now and More

The power core mini I bought a few months ago . It's a great portable charger but TWO full charges ? It does not do lol . Maybe 1 full charge . If you have a 6plus it will charge about 80 percent .

MacTouch786

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Bold
I say you are wrong, this charger holds only one cell, Panasonic 18650B cells currently have the highest capacity for a single cell, it's rated at 3400 maH, your iPhone 6 battery is 1810 maH
1810 X 2 > 3400 maH
Even when it is exactly twice the capacity, it still won't charge your battery 2 times due to loses and other factors.

The power core mini I bought a few months ago . It's a great portable charger but TWO full charges ? It does not do lol . Maybe 1 full charge . If you have a 6plus it will charge about 80 percent .

Thank you both for pointing this out. I regret the error and have corrected the guide.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
Star Wars was HIS creation. As an artist myself there are older artworks of mine that I sometimes wish I could've have done differently or Improved upon.

Just because it's his creation doesn't insulate him from criticism. Star Wars has been Lucas's Big Business far longer than his art and it shows in the crass decisions he's made over the decades.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Just because it's his creation doesn't insulate him from criticism. Star Wars has been Lucas's Big Business far longer than his art and it shows in the crass decisions he's made over the decades.

Still does not negate that it is his creation. And as such, he can do whatever he wants with it. Yes you can criticize him to your heart's content. But it really doesn't matter. Your life won't be diminished by his decisions.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
It was a lot of people's creation.
When you dig into the heaps of history behind the creation of Star Wars, it becomes very clear very quickly, Lucas' vision of Star Wars was a fairly corny b-movie. It took the studios concerned about their money to bring in the best people in the business to lend their creativity and experience and a wealth of existing ideas from other projects, to step up the characters, plot, sets, art, everything, into the 3 films they ultimately became, with Lucas getting famously frustrated and dejected that they'd taken over and changed everything.

It's not a stretch to think of Star Wars as great in spite of Lucas, rather than because of him.
When they finally gave Lucas creative control to make his own Star Wars films 25 years later, we got the prequels.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
Still does not negate that it is his creation. And as such, he can do whatever he wants with it. Yes you can criticize him to your heart's content. But it really doesn't matter. Your life won't be diminished by his decisions.

Actually he sold the rights so he can't do whatever he wants with it anymore. He'll let the "white slavers" at Disney do that now.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Actually he sold the rights so he can't do whatever he wants with it anymore. He'll let the "white slavers" at Disney do that now.

Way to jump in the discussion late and not even know what it was about. And blurt out stuff that has no bearing on the discussion.

Good job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.