Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Plex to offer one MacRumors reader a chance to win a lifetime Plex Pass that provides access to all of Plex's premium features.

Plex is a media server and personal content library for TV shows, music, movies, and photos. It's designed to organize personal media collections, allowing videos and music to be streamed to TVs, iOS devices, Macs, and more, both locally and remotely. With Plex, you can download the media server to your Mac, store your content in a folder, and then stream it directly to an iOS device or the new Apple TV via the Plex app.

plex-800x467.jpg

Plex is especially useful for those of you with a fourth-generation Apple TV, which is the first Apple TV to officially support the Plex service. Check out our walkthrough of how it works below:

Plex is free to use, but unlocking all of its features requires the Plex Pass, priced at $4.99 per month, $39.99 per year, or $149.99 for a lifetime. A Plex Pass includes access to Gracenote Music Magic and Vevo Music Videos, both of which enhance your music collection through playlist creation and added music videos.

It also enables Mobile Sync features, Plex Home for managed accounts, and Cloud Syncing options to sync content from the Plex Media Server to a cloud storage provider. Other Plex Pass features include Camera Upload, access to Trailers, and early access to new Plex apps.

One MacRumors reader will win a lifetime Plex Pass through our giveaway. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winner and send the prizes.

You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page. Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter.

The contest will run from today (February 5) at 11:15 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:15 a.m. Pacific Time on February 12. The winner will be chosen randomly on February 12 and will be contacted by email. The winner has 48 hours to respond a before a new winner is chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a Lifetime Plex Pass

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I was just thinking about getting a lifetime pass. Guess I'll wait another week to see if I win one.

superberg

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Schaumburg, IL
I picked up a Lifetime PlexPass back when they were $75. Best purchase I've made in a long time. It's still worth it, even at twice the price. I use Plex almost every day, and the media syncing is fantastic for when I'm going to be out of reasonably-priced data range (ie, flying, rural areas, etc).

VeryVito

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
I picked up a Lifetime PlexPass back when they were $75. Best purchase I've made in a long time. It's still worth it, even at twice the price. I use Plex almost every day, and the media syncing is fantastic for when I'm going to be out of reasonably-priced data range (ie, flying, rural areas, etc).

I could not agree more. I've been a lifetime PlexPass member for a couple years now, and there is not a single day when I'm not thankful for the purchase. I bought it before I really even knew what I'd do with it, but over the last several months, Plex has become the star of my home-entertainment universe. Combine it with the new Apple TV, and it's simply amazing. (Not a shill; just a big fan!)

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
It's almost criminal how much better of a media server it is over iTunes. The wireless syncing is incredible. Don't even have to wake up the computer to do it.

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
The contest will run from today (February 5) at 11:15 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:15 a.m. Pacific Time on February 12. The winner will be chosen randomly on February 5 and will be contacted by email. The winner has 48 hours to respond a before a new winner is chosen.

You may want to fix this.

Reactions: TruthWatcher412

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I love Plex, use it daily.

I'm still paying for a yearly subscription to my Plex Pass. Can't quite justify the life time membership, but before too long I would have spent that much already.

Shame I'm in the UK :(

Reactions: celaurie

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

This. I'm in the same boat. Would have paid double for the features and support.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I love Plex, use it daily.

I'm still paying for a yearly subscription to my Plex Pass. Can't quite justify the life time membership, but before too long I would have spent that much already.

Shame I'm in the UK :(
Yeah, the only justification I could make is if I use it for 4 years, but something better could come out by then.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I think I'll just stick with XBMC on my Mac Mini, no need for a powerful NAS, just any old NAS will do.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What do you guys use as Plex Media Servers? Plex looks great, but the thought of having to maintain a decently-spec'd computer or NAS is off-putting. With Infuse on Apple TV, I can just keep everything on my Wi-Fi hard drive and not have to worry about leaving my MacBook running as a server.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
What do you guys use as Plex Media Servers? Plex looks great, but the thought of having to maintain a decently-spec'd computer or NAS is off-putting. With Infuse on Apple TV, I can just keep everything on my Wi-Fi hard drive and not have to worry about leaving my MacBook running as a server.

Mine is hosted on an old plastic Mac Mini (circa 2008). Never a problem! The media server app is very efficient.

Reactions: aarond12

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I think I'll just stick with XBMC on my Mac Mini, no need for a powerful NAS, just any old NAS will do.

XBMC requires all files in the right format for devices. Instead of transcoding on devices, it is done on server so it works with all devices.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

For a few years I've just ran it from my IMac without much of an issue, save for the annoyance when I restart it in bootcamp. I tried running a separate server from Windows with the same files but it kept confusing plex on my android box.

I've recently got a new smart to and once I get back from holiday I'm going to buy the cable needed to plug my 2009 mini into the tv to replace my unstable android box. I'll put the android box in the bedroom where the mini is now and have the mini run everything for my tv

The problem with using a NAS is that it can't transcode so some files might not work on iPad or whatever

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
For a few years I've just ran it from my IMac without much of an issue, save for the annoyance when I restart it in bootcamp. I tried running a separate server from Windows with the same files but it kept confusing plex on my android box.

I've recently got a new smart to and once I get back from holiday I'm going to buy the cable needed to plug my 2009 mini into the tv to replace my unstable android box. I'll put the android box in the bedroom where the mini is now and have the mini run everything for my tv

The problem with using a NAS is that it can't transcode so some files might not work on iPad or whatever
Both my Nas units can transcode for plex without a hitch. Consumer Nas units have come along way

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Wow... so much love for Plex in here. Makes me feel like I'm missing something. Then I remember the hell I went through trying to install it, get it running, and the worse time I had uninstalling it.

Reactions: celaurie

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wow... so much love for Plex in here. Makes me feel like I'm missing something. Then I remember the hell I went through trying to install it, get it running, and the worse time I had uninstalling it.
Early builds were dogs but honestly it's come along way and it's a great piece of software. I run it on my qnap and it'll transcode over multi devices without a stutter. Even being away from home and being able to watch something is handy

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Early builds were dogs but honestly it's come along way and it's a great piece of software. I run it on my qnap and it'll transcode over multi devices without a stutter.

I don't think this was an early build... my install was attempted in November of 2014. The install was completely unsuccessful, and uninstalling was even worse. If I was to reinstall Plex right now, I bet I wouldn't have to go through initial setup; everything from the last install would show up immediately, including the hundreds of production stills that Plex indexed which I specifically told it to stay away from. Despite following every bit of advice I could gather, there is still something "Plex" hidden on my machine, some sort of .pref or whatever.

Even being away from home and being able to watch something is handy

I guess. I read a lot about people doing that here. I just can't see why its such an attraction. If I'm not home, I'm working and I don't have time or even the opportunity to start watching a movie or whatever. I just wanted a decent media server for a local machine to my AppleTV because Airplay was quite buggy. Plex was an absolute nightmare, so I ended up setting up Homesharing, which I was trying to avoid.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

I built my own :) 12TB of goodness in the loft. Only downside is it runs Windows :confused::p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.