MacRumors hacked this morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Did anyone else notice something weird going on with MacRumors this morning? About 8am GMT, the site was replaced with a single page about ThinkSecret and Nick dePlume. Have been looking around to see if anyone else had spotted it, but nothing mentioned so far.

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Haha, I so should have, but I didn't expect it to be fixed. It looked like ThinkSecret had taken over MacRumors. I'll try and see if I can recover it from my cache, as it was on my home laptop, and I'm at work right now.

But I swear, it did happen. Was all green and formal looking. I'll see if I can get it back.

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Why's everyone so disbelieving just because I don't have a screenshot? Very.... defense. I know it was early n' all, but I wasn't seeing things!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Why's everyone so disbelieving just because I don't have a screenshot? Very.... defense. I know it was early n' all, but I wasn't seeing things!
I want to believe but the absence of a screenshot makes it so easy to disbelieve. Surely the big guns could confirm this by looking through their logs etc.

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Well, like I said, I'll try recover the image from the browser cache when I get back home in a few hours. Come on big guns.... get checking! ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I want to believe but the absence of a screenshot makes it so easy to disbelieve. Surely the big guns could confirm this by looking through their logs etc.
exactly. this is just hearsay without a screenshot. and since no one else posted anything or is confirming this it leans toward the 'it didn't happen' scene.

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
I'm aware this is a Rumors site n' all, but in this instance, what would I gain from asking people about this? Bit of a random thing to try and claim if it wasn't true, surely?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Not that we're aware of. And I would think more than one person would have seen it if it was true.

I'd have to guess wrong url or typo or something, unless someone else can confirm it.

arn

pauldunlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Yeah, absolutely. I totally agree. I'm just telling you what I saw this morning. I can't believe it would have been a wrong URL. I have my three favourite rumor sites bookmarked in Firefox, and i view them all together.

Having checked my cache, I can't find anything in it to prove this. Interesting, I can't find anything in it at all to do with Think Secret, no idea why, despite me viewing it this morning.

*Shrug* - I wasn't trying to make some big "you got hacked" claim or anything like that, but this morning, at about 8:15am GMT time, something very weird was happening with this site. I'd love to prove it, but I can't. At that time, I didn't think to take a screenshot or anything. Either way, if Arn is confident his site is secure, that's really the main issue, because that was ultimately all I was trying to flag.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Earlier today (not 8am) I thought that that the bulleted active forums on the right seemed more spaced out than usual.

Maybe thats just me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.