MacRumors makes the front page of the Daily Mail Newspaper!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanboy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. iFanboy Guest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rtphones-arriving-scratched-straight-box.html

Typically though, the journalism is appalling, not only misrepresenting the number of complaints, but also this particular line killed me:

:/

It's not a typo either, it appears again in a further paragraph

Then there's this:-

Daily Mail basically just failed at trying to "brand" the problem. Literally no-one would refer to the mapping problems as "iOS-gate" :/

2. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

The Daily Mail is a joke, I cringe whenever a Tabloid newspaper writes about technology of any kind anyway!

It's also misleading, the front page of the website shows the one that was manually scratched but doesn't mention that until the full article.

3. iFanboy Guest

Gotta love them thinking the apple maps app "is called iOS6" :D :rolleyes:

4. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

I could do a better job. I wouldn't mind getting paid a nice sum to write dirt like that!

5. KPOM, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

The Daily Mail is a tabloid, perhaps a step above the New York Post to give you a sense. UK papers are divided into "broadsheets" and "tabloids," although some of the "broadsheets" now are sold in tabloid size (the daily Times is one such example).

The Telegraph, Times, Financial Times, Guardian, and Independent are the "broadsheets" in rough order from Conservative to Labour/Liberal leaning. They tend to report serious news and are usually pretty high quality (though the political bias is far more overt there than in the US - the Guardian and Indie make the NY Times look like a Tea Party paper, and the Telegraph is pretty overtly Conservative).

The Daily Mail, Sun, and Daily Mirror are comparable tabloids from right to left. The Sun has a topless photo on Page 3 almost every day, and a related newspaper (News of the World) was also accused of hacking into people's phones (creating quite a scandal in the UK). The Mail doesn't go that far, as it tends to appeal to housewives and the working class, but like all tabloids tend to exaggerate and report more sensationalist stories. Naturally, the tabloids far outsell the broadsheets. The Sun sells 3 million per day, while the Telegraph (the best selling broadsheet) is closer to 700,000.

6. iFanboy Guest

That part is actually not true (as well as libellous! LOL).

It was the News of the World that was caught hacking and promptly shut down by News International (Rupert Murdoch's Company in the UK). The Sun is also owned by News International but no proof that they hacked also has been uncovered.

There have been allegations made against most tabloids, with the Daily Mirror particularly having a lot of fingers pointed. While Piers Morgan was editor information was released, and he personally has talked about information that was allegedly only available on a Voicemail.

This is off the point however, I wanted to talk about the iPhone 5 macrumors posts getting high profile newspaper coverage! :p

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it was the NOTW, which I always thought of as the "Sun on Sunday" (which is its replacement). I forgot that the UK papers had separate Sunday staffs.

Agreed that this thread isn't about hacking scandals. However, I just thought I'd provide some perspective for people unfamiliar with UK papers.